yconic - Carleton, SFU, or UBC??
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Carleton, SFU, or UBC??

A photo of TarynLaurendeau TarynLaurendeau
Hey world,

To summarize, I've gotten into UBC's faculty of Arts, SFU's TechOne program and Carleton's Interactive Multimedia and Design program...
Ultimately I want to be doing graphic design, VFX, 3D modeling and animation, etc. In terms of a career, something in the movie industry would be preferred... (I was thinking VFX)

UBC doesn't really have anything related...Computer Sciences is too techy for me... it's just, UBC.

I think I've heard that SFU may be a better school than Carleton, but would anyone have any insight on their actual programs? From what I've looked into the IMD program seems better in terms of the specific courses that I would be taking. It's a collab degree with Algonquin (grad with a diploma and a degree)

Opinions??

**BTW I live in Vancouver so Carleton means moving a looong way. Any insight on going away for uni and Carleton's residence life in general would also be appreciated!

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of TheCatherine TheCatherine
i got a phone call from a student from carleton last week and she told me a lot about the university.
carleton is actually very advanced in any tech related field. and they have coop students that work with the federal gov, google, and ADOBE. they also put a lot of emphasis on design
i am going into computer science, but i really want to get a job in the entertainment industry as well :)
i also know for a fact that CBC loves hiring people from carleton/ottawau/algonquin. (i was on a TV show for radio-canada last year)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@TheCatherine wrote
i got a phone call from a student from carleton last week and she told me a lot about the university.
carleton is actually very advanced in any tech related field. and they have coop students that work with the federal gov, google, and ADOBE. they also put a lot of emphasis on design
i am going into computer science, but i really want to get a job in the entertainment industry as well :)
i also know for a fact that CBC loves hiring people from carleton/ottawau/algonquin. (i was on a TV show for radio-canada last year)

Cool! I plan on doing co-op as well. Are you likely going to Carleton?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of seasharp seasharp
Just stopping by to say that I was also accepted to IMD and CS at Carleton (also a CS person who's interested in the entertainment industry). :) Still have to decide between the two (and if I want to attend Carleton).

I have no idea with the other schools' programs, though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@seasharp wrote
Just stopping by to say that I was also accepted to IMD and CS at Carleton (also a CS person who's interested in the entertainment industry). :) Still have to decide between the two (and if I want to attend Carleton).

Nice! That's actually super exciting, you're the first potential IMD student that I've talked to! How does the program rank with your other options?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheCatherine TheCatherine

@TarynLaurendeau wrote

@TheCatherine wrote

Cool! I plan on doing co-op as well. Are you likely going to Carleton?

if i dont get into waterloo, its either going to be between montreal and carleton. montreal is good because they teach in french, my first language, and i get the quebec tuition fees which are around 2500$ a year. 4000$ with residence. however, i think i might choose carleton, just because they have a varsity rowing team and their campus is so much smaller. montreal is a HUGE school, and not many people live on rez, and i kinda want that "community" feel at the university ill go to :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of seasharp seasharp

@TarynLaurendeau wrote

@seasharp wrote

Nice! That's actually super exciting, you're the first potential IMD student that I've talked to! How does the program rank with your other options?

On OUAC, it's listed as fourth (last) - had actually applied to it after my other choices (replaced Western CS with it) once I discovered it existed. In reality, I have no idea still... (need to wait to see if Waterloo will accept me, and if Guelph will offer me co-op as I originally applied for it).

Anyways, I remembered a couple other things:

- a thread with students rating Carleton
- a bit more detail about IMD from an IMD grad:

In IMD there is certainly lots of programming, but it is less about programming for programming's sake, you use ActionScript to create multimedia apps, game engines (like xna, unity, etc) to write games. IMD tries to give you a broader background, and lets you focus through tons of group projects, on your specific areas of interest.

In IMD you also spend a lot of time on non-programming material, art, 3D-modeling, video editing and effects, doing things like motion capture and match moving.

All that said, the programming aspect of IMD, is less of a focus, and more of a tool.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kareemy Kareemy

@TarynLaurendeau wrote
Hey world,

To summarize, I've gotten into UBC's faculty of Arts, SFU's TechOne program and Carleton's Interactive Multimedia and Design program...
Ultimately I want to be doing graphic design, VFX, 3D modeling and animation, etc. In terms of a career, something in the movie industry would be preferred... (I was thinking VFX)

UBC doesn't really have anything related...Computer Sciences is too techy for me... it's just, UBC.

I think I've heard that SFU may be a better school than Carleton, but would anyone have any insight on their actual programs? From what I've looked into the IMD program seems better in terms of the specific courses that I would be taking. It's a collab degree with Algonquin (grad with a diploma and a degree)

Opinions??

**BTW I live in Vancouver so Carleton means moving a looong way. Any insight on going away for uni and Carleton's residence life in general would also be appreciated!

Thanks!

Stay in Vancouver! Carleton gets a bad rap here in Ottawa, where I'm from, and I'd go to UBC over ANY other university if only I wouldn't be super broke after 1st-year. Carleton's community, as a school, isn't exceptional, it's like any other university. It's campus is on a river, which is pretty cool, but here in Ottawa, it's the university that accepts everyone, so the reputation isn't great, and university rankings can attest to this. Depends on what you're looking for, but personally, I'm jealous! I sometimes just watch the UBC videos on their site and remember how I'm NOT going. *a single tear rolls down my cheek*
Was this helpful? Yes 0