yconic - Carleton; The Best Choice for Journalism?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Carleton; The Best Choice for Journalism?

A photo of LukeB2 LukeB2
First off, I'd like to point out that I just realised how much the title of this topic looks like a news headline. That was unintentional.

I recently accepted an offer to Carleton University for journalism, and I'm pretty happy with myself. I had applied to a number of schools and had been accepted. However, once i received my acceptance to Carleton I no longer sent in information to schools like Ryerson or UofT (UofT for PoliSci, Ryerson for journalism) because I was confident that Carleton was the place to go for j-school. I'm still confident that it is, I'd just like some reassurance. I understand the competition between Ryerson and Carleton, and I'd like to see what university has the superior reputation.

I'm interested in becoming a broadcast journalist, preferably television. I am capable of going into print, I'm just unsure of the future of print so I decided to move towards broadcasting. I am also interested in getting a pretty well-rounded education, which Carleton seems to offer.

So, my question would be...

Was Carleton the best choice considering what I want to do? What kind of things would you recommend I do to assure I've set a good path into broadcast journalism?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of LukeB2 LukeB2
Just to clarify, I'm asking this because I've heard some unappealing things about Carleton in general as a university and i was quite worried when i found it wasn't well ranked in world, or North American, universities. I worry this extends to journalism as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Yes. Carleton.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of gassergasser gassergasser
F*CK YEAH CARLETON! I seriously want to go there next year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cdkpsa cdkpsa
I think Ryerson is more well-known for "new media" journalism, including broadcasting, while Carleton is more well-known for print. The location of Ryerson also provides more internship opportunities in that field.

(I know, I look biased. But both are good j-schools anyway. :tongue:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of colakid123 colakid123

@cdkpsa wrote
I think Ryerson is more well-known for "new media" journalism, including broadcasting, while Carleton is more well-known for print. The location of Ryerson also provides more internship opportunities in that field.

(I know, I look biased. But both are good j-schools anyway. :tongue:)

++++1 Back when I still planned on going into journalism, I asked a lot of Ryerson and Carleton profs this question. Carleton does have advantages for print journalists and second majors (something Ryerson doesn't allows) but for broadcasting, Ryerson is the place to be.
Was this helpful? Yes 0