yconic - Carleton University???????
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Carleton University???????

A photo of Vaishnavi338 Vaishnavi338
I am planning to apply to Integrated Health Science at Carleton University. I do eventually want to go to Medical School so GPA is important. I was wondering if anyone can tell me more about the program..
..thinks like class size, time with prof, extra help, difficulty, and how many hours a week/day to spend studying/homework?
Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of RedMittenDoc RedMittenDoc
I'm just a high school student but the people in my school who get into Carleton aren't very smart... it's the main reason why I'd never go. Oh and I'd wanna get out of Ottawa :DDD go to somewhere cool, it's 4 years of your life enjoy them!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Carleton is a highly prestigious institution - probably the highest in northern Ontario. I'd highly recommend it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Meridian Meridian
Carleton's nickname as "last chance U" comes from the 70's and is way out of date. Carleton has some of the top programs in the country (Journalism, Political Science) much the same way each University has it's niche.

Carleton's science faculty is not as big as other schools. This means classes sizes are smaller (good), but also limits course selection and timeslots (bad). Example, first year chem class size ~ 250. Western ~ 900

Integrated science is similar to Bio-Chem with a little extra Psych added in. So you could do Bio-Chem as well and get the same result. You could also do that by CO-OP which could both help pay costs and add to your CV for medical school app in 4 years. Being in Ottawa has benefits in accessing Federal Govt / NRC co-op opportunities.

You might be able to squeak out a bit of a higher GPA at Carleton (as compared to MAC, UofT, McGill) simply because of the stiffer peer competition you would meet at those schools. Carleton science does NOT bell curve marks. You are going to still have to work hard at Carleton for a 3.8-4.0 GPA in science.

Ottawa (I guess if you don't live there now), is an excellent city to spend 4 years. Check out Carleton's campus as well - might be surprised at how nice it is and what it has to offer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Vaishnavi338 Vaishnavi338
Thanks guys...I live in Toronto so Ottawa isn't my only option though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Respects wrote

@ARMY101 wrote
Carleton is a highly prestigious institution - probably the highest in northern Ontario. I'd highly recommend it.

There's so much biased opinions on these forums. Don't listen to anyone, only you can know if Carleton is a good fit for you. If you like Carleton and believe you can work hard and get a high GPA there, then go there.

My opinions are never biased and always sounded grounded in fact.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Go to York, save your money and get a high GPA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0