yconic - Carleton vs. Ottawa U
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Carleton vs. Ottawa U

A photo of 989898 989898
Okay, so at Carleton I've applied to Integrated Science & Health Sciences, Biochemistry, and Commerce: Accounting. At Ottawa U, I've applied to Biomedical Sciences, Biochemistry, and Accounting.

I'm torn between business and science!
I also can't decide which university to attend.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Which do you like better? Both of the programs you applied to are very well known in their respective fields.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 989898 989898

@ARMY101 wrote
Which do you like better? Both of the programs you applied to are very well known in their respective fields.

That's the thing. I like both the same however I've been exposed to more science courses than business courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of leviaidan leviaidan

@989898 wrote
Okay, so at Carleton I've applied to Integrated Science & Health Sciences, Biochemistry, and Commerce: Accounting. At Ottawa U, I've applied to Biomedical Sciences, Biochemistry, and Accounting.

I might have the same problem in less than 5 months. It's between physical sciences and electrical/mechanical engineering.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 989898 989898
[quote=leviaidan]
@989898 wrote

I might have the same problem in less than 5 months. It's between physical sciences and electrical/mechanical engineering.

:/ ugh so hard to choose!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I advise that you go on a campus tour of both. I know you're thinking of programs as well, but if you go to both campuses you can probably picture where you would rather be. I went on a tour of both Carleton & UOttawa in the summer. Before I went I wanted to go to one university but after the tour I changed my mind to the other (I won't say which one because I don't want to change your opinion of either of them). Now I know which one I'd rather go to for sure.

If you don't like the 'city life' and living downtown Carleton may be right for you, though if you prefer being right downtown and 5 mins from everything then maybe UOttawa is your first choice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 989898 989898

@oliviacitygirl wrote
I advise that you go on a campus tour of both. I know you're thinking of programs as well, but if you go to both campuses you can probably picture where you would rather be. I went on a tour of both Carleton & UOttawa in the summer. Before I went I wanted to go to one university but after the tour I changed my mind to the other (I won't say which one because I don't want to change your opinion of either of them). Now I know which one I'd rather go to for sure.

If you don't like the 'city life' and living downtown Carleton may be right for you, though if you prefer being right downtown and 5 mins from everything then maybe UOttawa is your first choice.

Mhm, I've been to both campuses. I just need to figure out what I'd like to do more and also which university is better for which program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
Number of courses and streams, achievements of faculty, diversity of research, etc. are often indicative of the strength of a program, all of which you can find on the university's site.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Trooper Trooper
Business or science? It's hard to say. It depends on your skills, and passion. But honestly, I think skills is the outweighing factor.

I'd recommend Ottawa. Just because Carleton's got a bad rep.....no offense.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Carleton gives you more funding at the graduate level, I think. So, whether or not it's for your Master's or Bachelor's is going to make a difference.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bambam bambam
Might I recommend Science and Business at Waterloo,
If you don't mind leaving Ottawa, its a good choice.

Its primarily science based but you get to take a good amount of business courses, including accounting. It also includes coop so you can choose to find placements on either the business side of things or the sciences.

Check it out!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of veelee92 veelee92
ottawa u for sure!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@veelee92 wrote
ottawa u for sure!

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kanzai kanzai
Have you been accepted yet?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@989898 wrote

Carleton is renowned for its business program (SPROTT), as well as its journalism program. It also offers aerospace engineering, which not many other schools do.
OttawaU is known for its language programs (particularly French), among other areas of study. If you are implying to pursue anything Business-related, I would go with Carleton.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jpfan123 jpfan123
Same boat as you, I got accepted to Carleton's Neuroscience program which is well known, and waiting for Ottawa U. I can't decide...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Lifeguard Lifeguard
It really depends on what kind of enviroment you want. UOttawa is your typical downtown campus. It's also an older school and much bigger than Carleton. This means more options for courses and ECs. You also have the benfit of being in a bilingual school.

Carleton is very student focused. Their undergrad labs are very new and really great to use. They also have a lot of student support systems, student study sessions, a science centre for students. They do have a lot of clubs and such, it's just on a smaller scale. There's also the option of starting one.

It basically comes down to your needs and what you want your experience to be like. There's a big competion between the two schools and I have friends that go to both who will defend their school til the death, so you really can't go wrong.
Was this helpful? Yes 0