yconic - Case-based learning method
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Case-based learning method

A photo of mxfire mxfire
My current dilemma is deciding between Queen's or Ivey for my undergraduate studies. I understand that both school are on par with their recruiting, so deciding between which school is better is not my concern. I have also visited both campuses and think they're equally as gorgeous so this isn't a deterring factor either.

I'm interested in your opinion on the case-based learning method. From what I understand Queen's commerce uses it about 60% of the time compared to Ivey, which is solely based on teaching through this method. I have been in classes where this has been employed, however it has never been a regular thing and I'm not sure how I will perform if it is the only way I am assessed, apart from the class interaction portion.

What do you think of the case-based method? Do you think it'll be suitable for you to attain a high mark?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of yyang389 yyang389
I'm going through the same dilemma, choosing between Queen's Commerce or Ivey.

I think the case study method is a really innovative way to get involved in class and really get to know your peers and stuff. At Ivey, I think the 75-size classes are pretty ideal for this. It's probably also a good way to practice and improve your thinking skills (I'm not saying you don't have any, but just in general) as well as speaking. But my mom has recently pestering me about the fact that there are people who just can't get used to that style of teaching and aren't suited for the fast-paced-reaction-bam-bam (exaggeration, maybe) environment. There's definitely some truth in this, which is why I'm hesitant.

And like you said, there's case study method at Queen's as well along with just 'learning' which could be considered as a nice mix for some people.

But IDKKKKKK, I'm going bald stressing over this, it's terrible. I'm leaning towards Ivey because I think I'll like the university experience at Western better but then again if I did choose Queen's I'm pretty sure the experience I'll have won't be much worse than that of Western, so...yeah.

Is the case study method the deciding factor for you or something??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mxfire mxfire

@yyang389 wrote
I'm going through the same dilemma, choosing between Queen's Commerce or Ivey.

I think the case study method is a really innovative way to get involved in class and really get to know your peers and stuff. At Ivey, I think the 75-size classes are pretty ideal for this. It's probably also a good way to practice and improve your thinking skills (I'm not saying you don't have any, but just in general) as well as speaking. But my mom has recently pestering me about the fact that there are people who just can't get used to that style of teaching and aren't suited for the fast-paced-reaction-bam-bam (exaggeration, maybe) environment. There's definitely some truth in this, which is why I'm hesitant.

And like you said, there's case study method at Queen's as well along with just 'learning' which could be considered as a nice mix for some people.

But IDKKKKKK, I'm going bald stressing over this, it's terrible. I'm leaning towards Ivey because I think I'll like the university experience at Western better but then again if I did choose Queen's I'm pretty sure the experience I'll have won't be much worse than that of Western, so...yeah.

Is the case study method the deciding factor for you or something??

Well, I feel that my performance at each school is the only thing left for me to really decide on. I've gone through all the external things each school has to offer and they both have their ups and down. I need something to base my decision on and I think the teaching method is something significant enough for me to choose a school on.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of yyang389 yyang389
Well then I guess it all depends on how you perform in a case-based method environment. And you're the one who knows yourself best in this regard.

Personally, I haven't really been in any classes where case-based method was used so I don't really know how I would perform. But since you've had some experience and stuff, it might be a good indication of how you'll do.

But overall and in conclusion, I like the idea of case study method and am actually looking forward to doing it, wherever I go.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mxfire mxfire

@yyang389 wrote
Well then I guess it all depends on how you perform in a case-based method environment. And you're the one who knows yourself best in this regard.

Personally, I haven't really been in any classes where case-based method was used so I don't really know how I would perform. But since you've had some experience and stuff, it might be a good indication of how you'll do.

But overall and in conclusion, I like the idea of case study method and am actually looking forward to doing it, wherever I go.

Haha that is exactly the thing. I've been in classes where they've used the case study method, but I'm unsure of how I will perform if I'm evaluated solely on it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jessiexo jessiexo
Personally I wouldn't want to be taught solely by the case method.

I like knowing solid rules and then applying them rather than getting rules from the cases if you know what I mean. I also learn from textbooks better than in class... usually I just sleep in class so Ivey would definitely not be beneficial to me :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I read this somewhere a while ago so I'll try to summarize it a bit off the top of my head. (this came from an employer btw):

Queen's: the students seemed to know their stuff better (than Ivey grads). So they seemed a bit smarter which makes sense as they have 4 years at a top level school as opposed to 2 at Ivey

Ivey: Better speaking abilities and were less afraid to voice their opinion. Could also communicate really well (case method)

To the OP I would go to Queen's because then you have 4 years at a great school whereas you can get stuck in BMOS if something goes wrong.
Was this helpful? Yes 0