yconic - Cellular Carriers and cell plans
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Cellular Carriers and cell plans

A photo of Mar Mar
Hey

I am just wondering what cell plans do you guys have and who are your cellular carriers?
How much do you pay each month?
Also, how long you've been with them and did you ever try to negotiate better deals?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
32 replies

A photo of xxMoonCakezxx xxMoonCakezxx
Which cellular phones are the best to bring to campus?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
I'd say pretty much all the cell phone plans for BB's and iPhones are between 40-50$ for every company, data plans are so useful, more useful than the actual phone at times
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Qq wrote
I'd say pretty much all the cell phone plans for BB's and iPhones are between 40-50$ for every company, data plans are so useful, more useful than the actual phone at times

What?! Where?! I looked into plans for BlackBerries and iPhones and they were about $30 a month PLUS a $20 or $30 plan PLUS the monthly service charges and access fees. My girlfriend has the lowest possible plan with Rogers for her BlackBerry and it's about $85 a month.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
I pay ~$50/month for my BB/Telus plan. No data plan though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
$50/month student plan for my BB, with Rogers, no data plan. My mom negotiated a deal with them to include caller ID for free (rather than $8/month). We've been with Rogers for forever, our home phone and digital cable are also with them.

Plan includes:
unlimited texting (SMS and MMS)
unlimited long distance to MY5
150 mins local calling weekdays
unlimited local calling 9pm-7am weekdays and weekends
caller ID
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq

@ARMY101 wrote

@Qq wrote

What?! Where?! I looked into plans for BlackBerries and iPhones and they were about $30 a month PLUS a $20 or $30 plan PLUS the monthly service charges and access fees. My girlfriend has the lowest possible plan with Rogers for her BlackBerry and it's about $85 a month.

What the hell are you talking about..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
I'm with Virgin (hate it, definitely switching to Rogers once my contract is over) and I pay $30/month for top 10 + 500 texts and a bunch of other stuff I can't even remember. It's been over a year and I have about 8 months left. :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mar Mar
Wow guys your plans are expensive!

I have been using Fido for 3 years. I used to pay $60 for my plan - unlimited calling+voicemail.
In december I negotiated an awesome deal for $35 - Unlimited and free everything (no data) + 200 U.S long distance minutes. Plus I got 1 month for free. I sold my plan to my dad lol. :cheers:

Right now I got a new plan with a different provider - for $8 I get 100minutes +unlimited texting.+called I.D/3way calling/call fowarding+ wind to wind unlimited calling
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StephG6 StephG6
i have a family plan and its around $100+ for three phones
its 1000 txt msgs, 300 minutes [shared]
unlimited mobile mail instant msging
caller id
and i'm with rogers.its a locked in 3-yr contract and have been with them for around 4 yrs
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I find that Rogers is very good. But when there is a problem, they just don't care and keep transferring you over the phone to no one in particular. Careful with ROGERS!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I find that Rogers is very good. But when there is a problem, they just don't care and keep transferring you over the phone to no one in particular. Careful with ROGERS!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo

@ashmerko wrote

This is pretty much expected when dealing with the customer service of large companies.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jackiem jackiem
i am will bell canada and i do not advise anyone else to join them.
My text messages are often delayed by several hours, the reception is not very good, often times my calls do not go through. Plus one month last year i sent a large amount of texts with an unlimited text messaging plan, and the company still threatened to cancel my phone due to the fact that they were losing money on me. It made no sense.
I also pay $40 per month, substantially large amount considering what i have in my plan, cannot wait for my plan to end in June 2011!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of linds007 linds007
I work for Rogers and right now you can get a smartphone student plan. $50/mnth gets you 200 weekday minutes, 6pm early evening calling, unlimited texting, 500 mb data, you pick one of the following: My5 canada wide, double minutes to 400, free local calling to rogers customers or fido. Adding on voicemail and caller id would make it $62. Then there is a gov't recovery fee, so you'd be looking at 64.47 before tax. Then you'd just have to buy the phone.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of farrow125 farrow125

@Mar wrote
Hey

I am just wondering what cell plans do you guys have and who are your cellular carriers?
How much do you pay each month?
Also, how long you've been with them and did you ever try to negotiate better deals?

I just use my phone as a phone. I don't make to many calls. I bought a $50 phone through virgin mobile and just go with a prepaid $20 a month plan. I pay 10 cents a minute for local calls and get free texting incoming and outgoing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Behnam Behnam
I dont have a phone - I cancelled it - cost too much. Plus you use it way more than you have too - its tempting. I try to carry quarters, but I wonnnder if pagers are still around?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Mar Mar

@linds007 wrote
I work for Rogers and right now you can get a smartphone student plan. $50/mnth gets you 200 weekday minutes, 6pm early evening calling, unlimited texting, 500 mb data, you pick one of the following: My5 canada wide, double minutes to 400, free local calling to rogers customers or fido. Adding on voicemail and caller id would make it $62. Then there is a gov't recovery fee, so you'd be looking at 64.47 before tax. Then you'd just have to buy the phone.

Dude for $40 a month I can get Unlimited EVERYTHING
This is a good plan but is still very expensive. Even Rogers' daughter company Fido Solutions offers cheaper and better plans.

@Benham wrote
I dont have a phone - I cancelled it - cost too much. Plus you use it way more than you have too - its tempting. I try to carry quarters, but I wonnnder if pagers are still around?

You should get at least a prepaid plan.
One of my friends doesn't have a phone and it is very hard to get a hold of him. I don't like calling his home number and talking to his parents. He is a cool guy but we barely go out since its such a pain the *** to get a hold of him.

Also, if you are looking for a job its better to have your personal cellphone or you can loose a couple of job opportunities.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ikenna Ikenna
I'm currently am on a contract with Telus and pay $25 for texting and 200 minutes. I got a smartphone that didn't require you to buy a data plan and the phone comes with wi-fi, which is basically like data. I'd stick to contracts because it seems without one calling can get expensive.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of arg19 arg19
im with koodo for a blackberry and i pay about 37$ a month for:
Unlimited Messaging (Text and Picture)
Unlimited Local Family Calling
Unlimited 6pm Evenings & Weekends
Up to 100 Anytime Minutes

this add on costs 25$
and you have to add on a blackberry add on.
i added on one for 10$ a month called "blackberry social"
unlimited facebook, myspace, msn, twitter
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brookelynr brookelynr
I have the student plan with bell, for the iPhone4.
It's about 80$ a month, with add ons.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of swoodrow swoodrow
I have a student plan with bell as well, but for the blackberry. I'd say it comes to around $60 a month.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of yfong yfong
I'm with Fido and I pay $20 a month with no add ons.It's 50 minutes a month and 50 texts a month.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bree1477 Bree1477
Blackberry Student Plan, Data Plan. its like 40 bucks a month, but i get 10 worldwide calling people, unlimited texting,unlimited social networking, 500MB, free calling after 6pm, and free weekends, and 150 free mins a month, i get free apps all the time, and get to email,msn,facebook all the time.., best plan ever:).. im with rogers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of raptors12 raptors12
student plan with virgin mobile. 25$ 100 minutes, 7-8 and weekends free, unlimited text.
Was this helpful? Yes 0