yconic - Centennial College Networking Degree or Diploma?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Centennial College Networking Degree or Diploma?

A photo of DebianUser DebianUser
Ok, here's the situation. I'm getting a GED so I'll have to apply to get the credits separately in school or I can do the skills test and get into the diploma relatively easily. Is the degree worth the extra effort/money (almost double)? Looking at the benefits the diploma look like a better option IMO. It certifies me nationally by CTAB and provincially by OACETT, prepares me for most of the networking entry certificates and get my foot in the door with the Co-Op.

What benefits do you get other being able to say degree and teaching you more info (that you may or may not need)?

BTW Why isn't the degree certified by the CTAB or being a OACETT Certified Engineering Technologist ?

[SIZE=6]Diploma (3 years /w optional Co-Op)
[/SIZE]
[QUOTE]
Program Highlights
[LIST]
[*]A strong focus is placed on hands-on labs and technical problem-solving
[*]Exit points are available after one year (certificate) and two years (technician diploma)
[*]Graduates are positioned to pursue industry standard certifications such as Comptia A+, Net+, iNet, Cisco CCNA, Novell CNE, Microsoft Win2000 Professional and Server
[*]Hands-on experience is gained with the latest equipment and techniques for copper/ fiber cabling certification and network troubleshooting
[/LIST]

CTAB Nationally Accredited Program

The Computer Systems Technology - Networking program has met the national technology accreditation requirements established by the Canadian Council of Technicians and Technologists (CCTT) and, as such, has received national accreditation status by the Canadian Technology Accreditation Board (CTAB).

Recognition as a Certified Engineering Technologist

The Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists (OACETT) recognizes the Computer Systems Technology - Networking program as meeting all the academic requirements for certification in the Technologist category.[/QUOTE]
[url]http://www.centennialcollege.ca/Programs/ProgramBenefits.aspx?Program=3415&Calendar=2011-2012[/url]

[SIZE=6]Degree (4 years /w mandatory Co-Op)
[/SIZE]

[QUOTE]Program Highlights
[LIST]
[*]The state-of-the-art laboratories are specially engineered for the curriculum. They include uniquely equipped facilities offering VoIP, cellular networks, wireless broadband (WiMax), advanced routing and switching as well as network management
[*]You can specialize in network security or wireless systems
[*]Small classes ensure individual attention
[*]Highly qualified, full-time faculty has industry experience
[*]There is a focus on diversity, equity and a safe learning environment
[*]Opportunity exists for 15 weeks of paid industry placement
[*]Educational Partners
[/LIST]

Qualified graduates may be eligible to participate in an articulated program with selected universities, institutes and professional associations. These partnerships allow qualified graduates to apply academic credit towards further study.

Our partners are:

Griffith University, Australia[/QUOTE]
[url]http://www.centennialcollege.ca/Programs/ProgramBenefits.aspx?Program=0101&Calendar=2011-2012[/url]
Was this helpful? Yes 0
0 replies