yconic - CFA vs. CA
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

CFA vs. CA

A photo of durres durres
I would really appreciate if someone can clarify what the differences between CFAs and CAs are. I am in the process of choosing my university offer for next year but I'm not sure what I want to try to pursue.

So:

Major difference?

Is either better?

Who gets paid more?

Can I have a CA and do CFA work and vice versa?

Do they even matter to becoming a CEO?

Which School for CFA or for CA:

Laurier BBA/Financial Managment

Waterloo AFM-FM

Queen's Commerce

I would really appreciate anyone's feedback, as this choice will probably define my future (no pressure lol) and I'm pretty sure there might be other people out there looking for the same answers!

Thanks In advanced,
durres
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
CFA is Chartered Financial Analyst
CA is Chartered Accountant

CFAs work more in financial side of companies, risk management, investing activities. etc
CAs work more in big four, Audits, corporate taxation, can work in finance but usually not.

neither is better, do what you love

CFA get paid more

Any school that emphasizes quantitative economics, statistics, math, is usually better for CFA. because the exams are not easy. CFA is very math based.

why dont you do both? just do an accounting stream program and write the 3 CFA exams required. CA and CFA is a good combo. but it is not easy.

my personal opinion: CFA > CA
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of durres durres
Thanks alot man, clarifies things a lot

I've just been hearing a lot of things about CAs now trying to become consultants and are "re-branding" themselves as such. Personally I like the invesment side as well but from the current hype it seems CAs are gained a lot of momentum or that could just be the hype.

What school do you think would be best for CFA or CA? from queens laurier bba/financial math or waterloo afm-fm?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nazarus nazarus

@matt2014 wrote
CFA is Chartered Financial Analyst
CA is Chartered Accountant

CFAs work more in financial side of companies, risk management, investing activities. etc
CAs work more in big four, Audits, corporate taxation, can work in finance but usually not.

neither is better, do what you love

CFA get paid more

Any school that emphasizes quantitative economics, statistics, math, is usually better for CFA. because the exams are not easy. CFA is very math based.

why dont you do both? just do an accounting stream program and write the 3 CFA exams required. CA and CFA is a good combo. but it is not easy.

my personal opinion: CFA > CA

Your idiocy leads me to believe that you attend a non-target. Otherwise, you would have been educated better about CFA and CA.
"Financial side of companies" - What does that even mean? If you're talking about corporate finance, then CMA is the designation to get. CFA is geared towards portfolio managers, research associate/analysts, and other "buy-side" professionals.

CAs work in accounting firms, industry firms, banks, governments, etc. Every firm needs an accountant for one reason or another. In accounting firms and governments, you will focus more on audit/tax, but in the industry, you will have a management role.

Get both CFA and CA? Are you braindead? CFA requires 4 years of relevant work experience, and CA requires 3 years of experience at a CATO. The work experience required for the two designations are widly different - all in all, you need 7 years of work experience, and CFA is usually more beneficial for individuals already in the buy-side, not f*cking accountants or people who are looking to switch industries.

Matt, you are a f*cking idiot. Do everybody a favour and do some irreversible damage to your hand so you can never type such idiocy ever again.

Best,

Dr. Nazarus.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of durres durres
Thanks alot nazarus really helpful, but now more things to consider haha.

Do you guys have any idea which would be better for a consulting kind of job?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
Whoa whoa whoa, nazarus, you gotta relax! Everyone has mixed reviews..please don't curse at one, although you sound like you know quite a bit.

Where exactly does a CFA come in handy? Most financial "jobs" I see require a CA, CMA or sometimes CGA designation. Some also have a CFA as "preferred" or undergoing currently. Looks like a CA would be a fair first step although it is hard.

Would it be fair to call the CFA like an "MBA", whereas you should get the CA first, then if you are on the "buy-side" like you said, get the CFA to extra-prep yourself?

I'm not sure.
Was this helpful? Yes 0