yconic - Chance at UW AFM and Math/CA
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Chance at UW AFM and Math/CA

A photo of slau slau
Hi all,

I applied for the two programs as stated in the subject (AFM PA btw..)

Here are my marks...
English - 93
Adv Functions - 94
Calculus (midterm) - 98
Philosophy - 97
IB Physics - 98
Music (M course) - 96
Top 6 = 96%

I don't if this helps .. but my high school is ranked 2nd this year in the Fraser rankings..

A bit of my ECs...
President of Model UN
Coordinator of youth group in church organizing retreats and fundraisers
lifeguard/swim instructor part time job
treasurer for a church ministry
(i wrote Euclid this year..)

So what are my chances? you all think?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
19 replies

A photo of slau slau
also.. does it matter if my calc mark drops? im sure it'll drop a few percent for finals.. all other marks are final.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AndrewKim AndrewKim
I think you're a troll. No one asks what they're chances are as an IB student in the second hardest school in Ontario with good ECs and a 96% average.

Either you're a lifeless troll or you're a huge douche who just wants people boosting his ego by praising his high average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of shandal shandal
words to describe you...no life, try hard, idiot, troll.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of slau slau
I'm srsly not trying to troll... I'm honestly asking.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SkylarNoeL SkylarNoeL
It sounds as though you don't have much of a chance, Slau. Your marks are pitifully low and your EC's are fairly laughable. I find it difficult to see what you've accomplished in the past 4 years that a baboon could not have as well.

For an applicant of your caliber, I think that perhaps Yahoo! Answers is a more appropriate forum for you to continue receiving feedback on your university chances.

Have a good day, sir, I wish you luck in your future endeavors.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Despite the common thought among posters in this thread so far, your chances are not definite by any means.

You have high marks and good ECs so naturally people think you're trolling when you ask if you have a chance. In reality though, AFM-CA (Formerly PA) and Math/CA are highly competitive programs and marks/ECs do not guarantee anything.

Generally with your marks, you shouldn't have too much of a problem getting into Math/CA. However, for AFM-CA, it really depends on your AFMAA.

Hope that helps.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Skylarkwings Skylarkwings
Saw this and had to respond. I'm in a very similar situation (without the IB course though) and even the same school (BV, right?). Just because it's the ranked second, it doesn't necessarily mean it's the second most difficult. I don't see why people assume you are trolling, that's pretty harsh. Even if you are, it's natural to be worried about these things. I've been checking my email pretty avidly lately. Of course, I won't be able to give a legit valuation, being in the same boat and all. Good luck nonetheless =)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Powerfoe Powerfoe
Normally I wouldn't think that someone with credentials like yours would be qualified enough for Math/CA, but then I saw that you have a high mark of 96 in music. That is amazing! It will definitely help you a lot for this program, because in music you have to do a lot of counting which is also needed in linear algebra and calculus! Are you in the prestigious music council in your school, by any chance? If so, I think that you are pretty much guaranteed to get in. That super 96 (in music) tells me that you are not only a kid, but a super kid! Congratulations!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@immaculatedx wrote
Despite the common thought among posters in this thread so far, your chances are not definite by any means.

You have high marks and good ECs so naturally people think you're trolling when you ask if you have a chance. In reality though, AFM-CA (Formerly PA) and Math/CA are highly competitive programs and marks/ECs do not guarantee anything.

Generally with your marks, you shouldn't have too much of a problem getting into Math/CA. However, for AFM-CA, it really depends on your AFMAA.

Hope that helps.

This.

For AFM, you have a very good shot just based on your marks (but you're not guaranteed). They say they don't always do it, but usually they defer you to Business&Finance (formerly FM), and if they do so you will likely get that at the very least with your marks.

Good luck, and try to keep up your marks. Oh, and your school will not come into play.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@caveman wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

Hope that helps.

This.

For AFM, you have a very good shot just based on your marks (but you're not guaranteed). They say they don't always do it, but usually they defer you to Business&Finance (formerly FM), and if they do so you will likely get that at the very least with your marks.

Good luck, and try to keep up your marks. Oh, and your school will not come into play.

You can get a B/F deferral guarantee regardless of AFMAA performance with a high enough average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@SkylarNoeL wrote

@caveman wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

Hope that helps.

This.

You can get a B/F deferral guarantee regardless of AFMAA performance with a high enough average?

Not always. One of my friends had a mid 90 average and was outright rejected from AFM-PA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Not even an FM deferral? Ouch he must have really bombed the AFMAA...

Did he end up going to a UW program in the end?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@SkylarNoeL wrote

No, outright rejected. He ended up attending FARM although I think he is switching out to one of the Honours Math majors.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote

@SkylarNoeL wrote

No, outright rejected. He ended up attending FARM although I think he is switching out to one of the Honours Math majors.

Do you need a decent AIF to get into FARM? Or is it an extremely easy program to get into?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@SkylarNoeL wrote

@caveman wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

Hope that helps.

This.

No.

Waterloo often defers PA students to FM (should they meet the criteria), but they hold the right to choose not to defer students to FM, and at times they don't apparently.

Beyond this, you have to meet the criteria. So if your average is high but you have a poor AIF and AFMAA, it's possible that you could be rejected from CA and also rejected from B&F (should you be deferred first). Usually they defer to Arts & Business failing that (although again I believe they hold the right not to, perhaps).

Since marks are a part of the admissions process, the higher your marks are the higher chance of getting into CA or getting B&F.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@caveman wrote

@SkylarNoeL wrote

@caveman wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

Hope that helps.

This.

No.

Waterloo often defers PA students to FM (should they meet the criteria), but they hold the right to choose not to defer students to FM, and at times they don't apparently.

Beyond this, you have to meet the criteria. So if your average is high but you have a poor AIF and AFMAA, it's possible that you could be rejected from CA and also rejected from B&F (should you be deferred first). Usually they defer to Arts & Business failing that (although again I believe they hold the right not to, perhaps).

Since marks are a part of the admissions process, the higher your marks are the higher chance of getting into CA or getting B&F.

How does Arts and Business compare against AFM, Math/CA, DD, FARM, and HMath?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It honestly doesn't. There's really no math content to it (like Math/CA, DD, FARM, HMath) and you're just taking some basic accounting/business courses plus some courses like "business history" and that sort of thing. The rest is all arts courses and electives (and most of the AFM courses are reserved for AFM, Math/CA, Biotech/CA and occasionally FARM students). I mean it's not terrible, but if your average is 85+ there's a lot better that you could be doing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0