yconic - Chance of Admission to Schulich, AFM-PA, Ivey, Queen's Commerce or Rotman Commerce
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Chance of Admission to Schulich, AFM-PA, Ivey, Queen's Commerce or Rotman Commerce

A photo of AtomicMantis AtomicMantis
I know I've posted on this forum before asking the same question but now that I'm in my Grade 12 year and have definite Extracurriculars and a mark range I would like some honest opinions on my chances in the aforementioned programs.

Top 6:~91%

ECs
School Newspaper Featured Columnist and Executive (2 years)
Student Administrative Council Secretary (1 1/4 years)
Environmental Club Treasurer (2 years)
Safeschools Student Ambassador (1 year)
Wrestling Team Captain (4 years)
Model United Nations Executive (Secretary) and Speaker of the House (3 years as participant, 1 as exec)
Library Youth Group Volunteer (Although most of these hours were in Grade 10)(2 1/4 years)
Engineering Team (Maybe, have been on it before)(Did it in grade 10, might apply again, so 1 year)

I know that I may not have any Presidencies or Vice Presidencies on there, but hopefully I can sell them well on the application, as many of them involve a lot of hard work.

I know that AFM-PA is 70% based on the AFMAA, so I can understand that its hard to judge whether someone is going to get accepted or not.
but based on marks and ECs alone, what would my chances be at for the rest of these programs, and how can I improve them?

If anyone is already in any one of these programs, can I get an opinion as to how I stack up against the competition they experienced?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Your grades are good enough. EC's were never about what you did, but rather how you sell what you did.

Your application will definitely be competitive, it's up to how you sell yourself as an applicant now that will determine whether you will be able to get in or not to your program choices. Make sure you talk about why the things you've done meant something, what you learned, and how you were able to communicate/be a leader.

With that being said, generally marks are good enough to get you in Schulich and definitely Rotman. It'll depend more on your AFMAA's for UW and your PSE for QC. People might rip me for hating on Schulich, but honestly everyone I know with a >90 average got in and most people will say the same.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AtomicMantis AtomicMantis
Thanks for the feedback.

Seeing as you're in Math/CA at Waterloo, I also hoped if you could fill me in on how the Coop opportunities are for the AFM-PA students. I know that Math/CA,Bio/Ca and PA generally get the first choice when it comes to CA jobs, but how many jobs in general are there for all the applicants, and do people in PA have to settle for coop in finance?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
You look like a pretty well rounded applicant. If anything, I'd try to raise your top 6 slightly to 92 or 93 if you wanted some more security.

Your acceptance into Schulich really depends on your marks. In the past, I believe that 91 was the "magic number", and everyone with a 91+ got admission. This was the case for my year, but with grade inflation and the possibility of more applicants, I wouldn't be surprised if the "magic number" was raised.

You'll get AEO status to Ivey almost definitely. You don't need a 90 and there's like 700 spots. If you're lucky, they might even give you a second AEO spot just because they have too many to give out.

Queen's Commerce is more dependent on your PSE/EC's than the others. You're definitely at a point of competition, though.

You will also very likely get Rotman. P.S I would consider Rotman a cut below the aforementioned programs.

Lastly, you are indeed right saying that PA admission is largely based on the AFMAA. I know people with sub 90's who have gotten in just because their ability to write and think creatively were on a level that most high schoolers can not even comprehend.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Arctic Arctic

@AtomicMantis wrote
Thanks for the feedback.

Seeing as you're in Math/CA at Waterloo, I also hoped if you could fill me in on how the Coop opportunities are for the AFM-PA students. I know that Math/CA,Bio/Ca and PA generally get the first choice when it comes to CA jobs, but how many jobs in general are there for all the applicants, and do people in PA have to settle for coop in finance?

Last year, 50% (for sure) of CA co-op option 2nd years (PA, Math/CA, Biotech/CA) had a CA Training Office job while about 33% (estimate) had a job in accounting services. The rest worked in a variety of positions including 'finance jobs', though the recruiters tend to look for finance students. The number employed at a CA Training Office increases as everyone goes through their 4 co-op terms, but for sure having all the co-op terms focused on the winter tax/audit season is very important in terms of job searching!

The new terminology for AFM is CA co-op option and GBN (Government, Business and Not-for-profit)... no more PA or FM.

Also, check out Official SAF 2017 on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/273057576050133/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mundane12321 mundane12321
AFM-PA: depends on your AFMAA
Ivey: most likely
QC: Maybe, depends on your PSE
Rotman Commerce: 99%, if you do your supplementary and has above 85 or 80 in english
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ritu Ritu
A question- is it top 6 for Schulich or Eng/Calculus/AF and top 3? Quick reply is appreciated.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
For Schulich, it's Eng+Adv Func+either Calc/Data+top 3.
Was this helpful? Yes 0