yconic - Chance of scholarships?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Chance of scholarships?

A photo of kitkat1 kitkat1
Hi, so I am in grade 12 this year. I have the following EC's:
In-school: library vol (head vol-4yrs), math club-pres, newspaper (editor-in-chief), yearbook, environmental club-sec., Safe Schools-treas., model un, peer-tutoring; cross-country, badminton.
Out of school: youth cabinet, youth advisory group, food bank, hospital, community library vol (4yrs), tutoring/mentoring at a local elementary.
co-op at a hospital over the summer, u of t enrichment porgram attendee.
My gr 11 avg was 94...are these ECs worth a shot for TD, Loran, etc?
Also, I need advice on whether I should work on scholarship apps (they do req alot of time), or more towards on studies- as marks will atleast confirm an entrance scholarship?
Please give advice based on your experience, any suggestions welcome!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
1 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
Your ECs look good enough to try for TD and Loran and those big ones, I will note that those can be kind of a crapshoot though. I had pretty strong ECs and grades and won some major scholarships but didn't win any of those ones. Almost all of my scholarships were from the universities I applied to. If you can get an even 95% grade 12 average you're golden.

For information purposes, I won $50,000 worth of scholarships in my undergrad. I was also awarded a single $50,000 scholarship from U of C, which I declined. Of the money I actually got, $32,000 came from the U of A, $15,000 from the Alberta government and the rest from external. You can see that I didn't do so well on external scholarships. A lot of my scholarships were academic but they also had service components as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0