yconic - Chances at UW Software Engineering and CS(coop)?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Chances at UW Software Engineering and CS(coop)?

A photo of Sorchen Sorchen
'cus I'm in Alberta, they only need 5 grade 12 courses:

LA: 77(current), 70-75(projected)
Math30(Advance function): 94(final)
Math31(calculus): 94(current), 95(projected)
Physics: 88(final)
Chem: 94(final)
my current average is 89.4, it's probably gonna drop less than 1% at the end. I'm taking grade 11 computer science now, I believe i will get 90s on that, but it doesn't count in those 5 courses.

I also take work experience at a local software company, and i will have about 400hr of work exp by the end of grade 12. I just wrote CCC last week, and will write Euclid in April. I'm not sure how i will do on those contest, my school doesn't do any prep for them.

I know my LA is really low, and it pull my average down for like 4%..how much do they weight LA? I already filled the AIF with what I have here. What are my chances of getting into Waterloo SE or CS(coop)?

My first choice is SE, second is CS(coop).I've heard that SE is hard to get in, anyone knows what the admission average was last year?

Thank you:bounce:

Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of arviny arviny
You should be fine, you average looks like a 90%.
CS entering year average from HS was about 87% and engineering (including SE) was almost 90%
Your ECs also seem to be in order, expect an offer soon.
My average for grade 11 was in the high 80s and first semester average was 87% (chem 82, physics 88, adv fnc 89, cs 90, sociology 85) and projected 90% for this semester (>95 calc, low 80s english, >95 comp engineering).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango

@Sorchen wrote
'cus I'm in Alberta, they only need 5 grade 12 courses:

LA: 77(current), 70-75(projected)
Math30(Advance function): 94(final)
Math31(calculus): 94(current), 95(projected)
Physics: 88(final)
Chem: 94(final)
my current average is 89.4, it's probably gonna drop less than 1% at the end. I'm taking grade 11 computer science now, I believe i will get 90s on that, but it doesn't count in those 5 courses.

I also take work experience at a local software company, and i will have about 400hr of work exp by the end of grade 12. I just wrote CCC last week, and will write Euclid in April. I'm not sure how i will do on those contest, my school doesn't do any prep for them.

I know my LA is really low, and it pull my average down for like 4%..how much do they weight LA? I already filled the AIF with what I have here. What are my chances of getting into Waterloo SE or CS(coop)?

My first choice is SE, second is CS(coop).I've heard that SE is hard to get in, anyone knows what the admission average was last year?

Thank you:bounce:

lright. I dont even know what our admission average was, but we have a lot of smart kids in our year. It might vary for your upcoming year, who knows. I assume LA is English class in Alberta. Well, they do not "weight" the pre-reqs or anything. In the requirements though, it says a 70% in each of the pre reqs is NORMALLY required, but of course your AIF can boost your application by a lot. Just try to stay above 70 on your LA.

Now, if you dont get accepted for SE, I will be surprised. You have work experience. Which is a lot already. So I am pretty sure you are going to get in. It is a big big advantage to have prev work experience if you are entering CS or SE at waterloo, because you'll be qualified for some of the better jobs.

For sure youre gettin into CS. Any other concerns just PM me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sorchen Sorchen
Thanks for the info arviny and aimango!

I just received an email with the offer of admission to CS, and my third choice computing and financial management which I don't really care about.
But they didn't mention about SE, do SE make decisions seperately? do I still have chance to get in SE?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
SE is part of faculty of engineering. well faculty of math too, but theyre more engineering sided. you will probably get your offer next week or after march break. i think i got mine the friday of march break last year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lolcostco lolcostco
I'm pretty sure you'll get in. You're above a mid 80, and you have experience as well! I'm sure you'll be fine, and your math marks are high as well. o.o

I certainly don't intend on hi-jacking your thread, but I have the exact same question. >_<;

I applied to the same program as you, Software Engineering, with CS (co-op) as my backup.

My marks:

English (Expected Mid-term: 75)
Advanced Functions (85 FINAL)
Calculus (Expected Mid-term: 90)
Chemistry (70 FINAL)
Physics (Expected Mid-term: 89)
Computer Engineering (94 FINAL)
Computer Science (Expected Mid-term: 95)
Robotics Engineering (85 FINAL)
Biology (Expected Mid-term: 98)

Estimated Top SIX Average by Midterm: 84.5

HOWEVER, if it helps, I did write the CCC last week, and when my teacher marked it, I got a 62, highest in my class. (Apparently, a minimum of 55 is required in order to have your program sent to Waterloo)
I also intend on writing Euclid and SIN this year.
I have a bunch of EC's as well. (Student Council, Yearbook Pres, Robotics Team Programmer, and a bunch of sports)
Through Robotics, we participated in some competitions as well... and lets see..
I did an enrichment program (GSES@UofT)
Was this helpful? Yes 0