yconic - Chances for Ivey/Queen's/Schulich/McGill
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Chances for Ivey/Queen's/Schulich/McGill

A photo of Augustus1 Augustus1
Please let me know what my chances for Ivey AEO, Queen's Commerce, Schulich BBA, and McGill Management are :)

Top 6:

Advanced Functions: 93
Data: 96
Calculus (AP): 95
Environment: 100
Economics (AP): 91
English (AP): 97

Average: 95.33

My school is non-semestered, so courses are full year. I did Advanced Functions last year so that grade is final, the other 5 are just my December (term 1) marks, which I'm hoping I can maintain until February when grades go in.

ECs (first 3 are the main Ivey ones):

1. Varsity squash team
2. Stage/lighting/technical coordinator for school drama club
3. House captain
4. Co-founded anti-smoking club
5. Politics club/MUN conference
6. Admissions Assistant
7. National Junior Honors Society

Work experience: Math TA/tutoring for students in grades 9-12 (unpaid)

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
You really don't have much to worry about. Your marks are great and your EC's look sufficient enough that you can write about what an awesome person you are. Try to keep up that 95+ average until the end of the year to get substantial scholarship monies.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ilikeyork ilikeyork
wow those marks are amazing
sorry if this is irrelevant but how did u get 100 in environment? i have it next semester and i am about to drop it... is it really that easy?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ilikeyork wrote
wow those marks are amazing
sorry if this is irrelevant but how did u get 100 in environment? i have it next semester and i am about to drop it... is it really that easy?

I guess it would differ school to school but at mine the class isn't exactly easy, but the teacher rewards spending a lot of time/effort on it. Last year some seniors told me it was like that so I spent an unnecessary amount of time and effort to maximize the mark in order to boost the average. The class average is still like a 70 because people take it lightly and end up screwing around, so I actually really need to work hard to make sure to keep my Enviro grade. I actually find Data easier than Enviro haha
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Nice marks, your chances look solid for all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@onlymatthew wrote
You really don't have much to worry about. Your marks are great and your EC's look sufficient enough that you can write about what an awesome person you are. Try to keep up that 95+ average until the end of the year to get substantial scholarship monies.

Thanks! Since this year we can only pick 3 ECs, do you think that the ones I listed first are good choices? Or do you know if they prefer certain ECs over others (at this point one would be my sport, another arts, and another community involvement/student govt).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Augustus1 wrote

Thanks! Since this year we can only pick 3 ECs, do you think that the ones I listed first are good choices? Or do you know if they prefer certain ECs over others (at this point one would be my sport, another arts, and another community involvement/student govt).

Again, it really depends on your involvement in each of the clubs. For example, being the founder of a seemingly frivolous or jokes club is probably still better than being a member for a seemingly professional business club. Ivey says they look for "well-rounded" candidates, which is sort of up to one's discretion, but I would definitely try to get different ECs. Like you said, one sports, arts and community involvement does seem good.

Looking through your ECs, I'm not sure what a house captain is. Is that a school leadership program? Or is that like slang to say that you produce house music professionally? Also, I might replace the co-founding of the anti smoking club with the drama club EC just because Ivey offers very little of its excrements in regards to the arts. There's probably a lot you can talk about in co-founding the club too.

To be honest, it really doesn't matter what you put as your EC's. Your marks are good enough that you can say you were an axe-wielding criminal for the majority of your life and still probably be admitted.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
McGill, Schulich and Ivey should not be too much of a problem.

Put in EFFORT for the Queen's application.

You should be fine though. You are a very competitive application.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@onlymatthew wrote
I'm not sure what a house captain is. Is that a school leadership program? Or is that like slang to say that you produce house music professionally?

I'm in boarding school so we have a house system (like Harry Potter I guess) and each house has "house captains" which are basically the student leaders of the house (we don't have a central student government, it's house by house). So there's a lot I can write about, and could probably mention the club co-founding in the description for this as doing that was one of the reasons I was chosen to be an HC, and that way keep the art one as well. Though to be fair if I became a DJ, "House Captain" would be a kick ass name :compress:

@ZFero wrote
McGill, Schulich and Ivey should not be too much of a problem.

Put in EFFORT for the Queen's application.

You should be fine though. You are a very competitive application.

Thanks, Ivey is my first choice but I'd really like to get into QC as well. Do you have any tips or remember anything you researched last year when you were applying about Ivey and Queen's, like what they want in their respective essays? Ivey just gives you 250 words - do they want you to just brag about yourself? Should you talk about personal qualities, or elaborate on ECs, or get philosophical or something else?

What does Queen's look for in the PSE - I mean, it's called a personal statement of experience, which I guess means you should talk about something that happened before, yet the topic is like what you want out of Queen's, which I guess is more future-focused, so I'm kind of confused for that...I also read somewhere to just make it a diatribe about your ECs, but they already get info on that somewhere else, so if you could please clarify on that.

And of course if you guys have any tips on Schulich or other schools that would be great too :colors:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Bump
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Just brag about yourself. However, if you write the application well and succinctly, you can use the 250 words to talk about your ECs while still going into detail about the kind of person you are. Feel free to get "philosophical", but I would be careful as I don't think it's a primary criteria any business program is looking for. I think I made this problem last year and got a little too profound and loosey goosey with my essay.

Be comfortable with what you're writing, it's so painfully obvious when people are out of their writing comfort zone.
Was this helpful? Yes 0