yconic - Chances for Queen's, Ivey, Schulich
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Chances for Queen's, Ivey, Schulich

A photo of fhunter2 fhunter2
Sorry, I know it must be annoying seeing all these threads but any insight would be much appreciated :)

Top 6 including prerequisites: 97.2%

ECs:
School
- Athletic Council President
- Music Council Co-President
- Arts Prefect
- Swim Team
- Athletic Newspaper Editor
- Senior Orchestra Flute Section Leader
- Senior Wind Ensemble Flute Section Leader
- Charity Ensemble Founder
- Spin-a-thon leader
- Charity Club Leader
- Volunteer Tutor

Community
- Co-Founder of an organization that gives free music lessons to underprivileged kids
- Retirement home volunteer musician

Possible weaknesses? No business related ECs, no employment. Ever. Like not even a summer job.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of sherrybloosm sherrybloosm

I will bet you my GPA that you'll get into Ivey and Schulich. The only thing you'll have to worry about for Queen's are your essays. You already have a competitive average and good ecs, so make sure you perfect those essays to distinguish yourself in the applicant pool.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of fhunter2 fhunter2

Another weakness - no major awards. How much do they care about this?

Also, what exactly distinguishes a good essay from a mediocre one? Is it enough to just have some solid ideas and communicate them clearly and effectively? I consider myself to be a fairly decent writer, so that shouldn't be a big problem. Or do you really have to come up with something super original and mindblowingly exceptional to get into QC?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@fhunter2 wrote

Another weakness - no major awards. How much do they care about this?

Also, what exactly distinguishes a good essay from a mediocre one? Is it enough to just have some solid ideas and communicate them clearly and effectively? I consider myself to be a fairly decent writer, so that shouldn't be a big problem. Or do you really have to come up with something super original and mindblowingly exceptional to get into QC?

There are plenty of people who have gotten into top business school without exceptional awards, so I'd say you're fine. Try to be as unique and original as possible in those essays. Avoid clichés, especially the “ever since I was a little boy….”, “live life to the fullest”, “I’m so great I accomplished x, y, and z”, and “I want to change the world” lines. If you’re really stuck, I would advise you to do some research and look up university application essays which could be found at your local libraries (they’re mainly application essays for American schools, but they do help a lot).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
Be wary of Queen's. You don't have a job, which is a pretty big disadvantage.

I think in general, the subjective nature of PSE's makes it better if you write a "safe" supplementary. Don't try to be a hero or a poet with your supplementary, just give them what they want. Cliches are cliches for a reason; they produce results. I would actually recommend to not be "unique" or "original" because of this. This isn't a mac health science application, most business admissions could give less excrement on how much of a free-spirited, self-motivated learner you are.

With marks as high as yours, all you have to do is convince Ivey/Schulich that you're literate. With Queen's, all you have to do is convince them that you're sane.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I would recommend you to take the risk. It’s much more exciting that way. However, keep in mind that if not done properly, your essay could end up sounding ridiculous (I have read a few of those). If you are not confident or are unsure, then I would suggest sticking with the clichés and one that is less “unique” or “original”, as they have proven to work for many friends of mine. Although these are merely essays for admission into QC and not the PSE for Harvard (God, those were tedious), that doesn’t mean we must diminish creativity. For someone with marks like yours, surely you wouldn’t mind challenging yourself?

P.S. this is strictly geared towards the essay that everyone who applied to Queen’s has to write regarding why they chose Queen’s, and not the specific essay questions asked by Queen’s commerce. Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0