yconic - Chances of AFM-PA
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Chances of AFM-PA

A photo of civicCA civicCA
What are my chances of being invited to write the AFMAA. I have yet to finish the AIF, but plan on doing it tonight. Here are my FINAL top 6 marks. I did some gr 12 courses in gr 11, so i already have all the marks i need.

Adv Functions - 93%
Biz Management - 93%
Data - 88% yea i know i flopped considering data is pretty easy.
Int Biz - 93%, lol, lots of 93s for some reason -_-
English - 87% :cheers:
Law - 92%

Also, what are my chances of getting into Laurier BBA and Brock BAcc with coop. My ultimate goal is to be a CA or and investment banker depending on which i prefer when i go to university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
21 replies

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@civicCA wrote
My ultimate goal is to be a CA or and investment banker depending on which i prefer when i go to university.

lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Relax man, im just saying, i don't know which one i prefer. I know they're both freakin different. We dont really have any proper business courses that are based around investments and finance. We have accounting, and i love it, in fact i kill that ish. But i'm also interest in investment banking since i find it very intersting how the finnacial industry works. I'll make my choice when i get to uni. You're retarded if you think you already know what you want in life based on a few effin high skool courses. No attitude homie, it was a question, no need to get judgemental. Hope this explanation is enough to suffice the naysayers
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I don't understand why all the kids on this forum think that their 2 career paths are either to obtain a CA or to become an investment banker. Like seriously, wtf.

Sure you saw that old Wall Street movie... But did you know that according to M&I, only 60-70 Investment Banking Associates are hired in all of Canada per year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of redherring redherring
If you go on Waterloo's website, you will see that selection for the AFMAA is from the "low to mid 80s". As you can probably tell, you are all but guaranteed an invite.

Getting the invite isn't a big deal: getting an offer is the trickier part.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4

If you go on Waterloo's website, you will see that selection for the AFMAA is from the "low to mid 80s". As you can probably tell, you are all but guaranteed an invite.

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of loveshackles loveshackles

@immaculatedx wrote

@civicCA wrote
My ultimate goal is to be a CA or and investment banker depending on which i prefer when i go to university.

lol.

I lol'd hard too tbh
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote
I don't understand why all the kids on this forum think that their 2 career paths are either to obtain a CA or to become an investment banker. Like seriously, wtf.

Sure you saw that old Wall Street movie... But did you know that according to M&I, only 60-70 Investment Banking Associates are hired in all of Canada per year?

I don't understand what your problem is. I understand that you may think I'm naive, and trust me, I am, I haven't even been to uni yet so i don't know what i want to do yet. I know its Business for sure since i Find it interesting, but i assure, i do not want to become a ibanker based on a movie,(which i haven't even seen). i have talked to many actual investment bankers, and from what they have told me about their jobs, its seems interesting. Since i find it interesting, i would like to consider that as a possible career for myself. How and why does, this make you laugh, and how and why does this bother. As for the CA part, i love accounting, so i think that having a CA designation could also be quite interesting from a career perspective. Obviously there may be some other part of business that might interest me in the future, but for now, these two things are what interest me the most. Why does this bother you? There are probably many more like who have similar thoughts. And so what if only 60-70 ppl are hired a year. Does something being hard mean that you should'nt even attempt or dream of completing it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@loveshackles wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

@civicCA wrote

lol.

I lol'd hard too tbh

k, cool story bro
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@redherring wrote

Thats what i was thinking too, but someone, i think it was g93, but im not sure, said that around 3000 people apply to the AFM program, but only 1000 get an invite, and im sure that all the people who apply have their averages above the requirement, so I was wondering what a competitive average is to get invited, since only 1/3 applicants get inviited
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@civicCA wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

I don't understand what your problem is. I understand that you may think I'm naive, and trust me, I am, I haven't even been to uni yet so i don't know what i want to do yet. I know its Business for sure since i Find it interesting, but i assure, i do not want to become a ibanker based on a movie,(which i haven't even seen). i have talked to many actual investment bankers, and from what they have told me about their jobs, its seems interesting. Since i find it interesting, i would like to consider that as a possible career for myself. How and why does, this make you laugh, and how and why does this bother. As for the CA part, i love accounting, so i think that having a CA designation could also be quite interesting from a career perspective. Obviously there may be some other part of business that might interest me in the future, but for now, these two things are what interest me the most. Why does this bother you? There are probably many more like who have similar thoughts. And so what if only 60-70 ppl are hired a year. Does something being hard mean that you should'nt even attempt or dream of completing it.

Why can't you just say you want to work in Accounting or Corporate Finance... Saying you want to become a CA or an investment banker is like saying you want to be a Politician or Forensic Suicide Lawyer for the FBI. It'd be a lot better to say you just wanted to become a politician or work in the field of law... it's perfectly valid to not know what you want, and it makes you seem like much less of an idiot.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Finance27 Finance27

@immaculatedx wrote

Damn, i think im reading this wrong.

As for the op, i think investment banking will be extremely difficult from the programs youve applied to, considering the top tier schools will be more attractive. But CA, i guess so, since they are accredited.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@civicCA wrote

@redherring wrote

Thats what i was thinking too, but someone, i think it was g93, but im not sure, said that around 3000 people apply to the AFM program, but only 1000 get an invite, and im sure that all the people who apply have their averages above the requirement, so I was wondering what a competitive average is to get invited, since only 1/3 applicants get inviited

I'm pretty sure it was 2900-3000 or something get invited. Also I know that well over 1000 wrote the AFMAA last year. I'm not sure how many apply.

But if you're above low-mid 80 and have a 75 in English, you will get invited. It's as simple as it sounds.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote

Says the guy who choose to go into Math/CA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@redherring wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

What's wrong with wanting to pursue the CA Path? It was not like "I WANT TO BE CA OR IBANKER" like all brainwashes on this forum.

And if you don't know, I have actually switched out of Math/CA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote

@redherring wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

What's wrong with wanting to pursue the CA Path? It was not like "I WANT TO BE CA OR IBANKER" like all brainwashes on this forum.

And if you don't know, I have actually switched out of Math/CA.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. You thought it was hilarious/naive/ludicrous/whatever that the OP wanted to be a CA or an investment banker, and that "those are the only two choices all these brainwashed kids are choosing" etc. Yet you chose one of those options. Seems slightly hypocritical is all I'm getting at. Perhaps instead of calling him crazy you could have suggested that he keep his mind open to all fields of business/finance/accounting, attend a full business program, and then figure out what he wants to do while in university.

Also I saw your signature with switching from Math/CA to DD.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It's not that I think wanted to be either career is wrong, it's that high school kids think that those are the ONLY two sexy career paths available to them whereas the CA really isn't and the Investment Banking path is not really a path and is really just a specific job in the Corporate Finance path.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Sure the nice thing to do is suggest more research into the fields of business/finance/accounting but the fact of the matter is, if you're not harsh on them, they don't listen. Then when they go to their first networking session and the recruiter hears they want to be an ibanker and asks them what a discounted cash flow is, all they can give is a blank stare.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote
Sure the nice thing to do is suggest more research into the fields of business/finance/accounting but the fact of the matter is, if you're not harsh on them, they don't listen. Then when they go to their first networking session and the recruiter hears they want to be an ibanker and asks them what a discounted cash flow is, all they can give is a blank stare.

W/e I guess they (and me too) will eventually learn about other possibilities. It's not like pathologists or optometrists aspire to become those from high school, they have their goals on being a "doctor" or "surgeon" but eventually find out what options are available to them, and choose it. For now, let everyone dream on, I'm sure some of those who want to be bankers from the start will become bankers, whereas others may not.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Finance27 wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

W/e I guess they (and me too) will eventually learn about other possibilities. It's not like pathologists or optometrists aspire to become those from high school, they have their goals on being a "doctor" or "surgeon" but eventually find out what options are available to them, and choose it. For now, let everyone dream on, I'm sure some of those who want to be bankers from the start will become bankers, whereas others may not.

You just contradicted yourself. That's exactly what I'm trying to say. Ibank to Corporate Finance is like Neuro Foot Surgeon to Doctor if you really think about it.

Instead of saying CA or Ibank, people should refer to a career in public accounting or corporate finance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote

@Finance27 wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

You just contradicted yourself. That's exactly what I'm trying to say. Ibank to Corporate Finance is like Neuro Foot Surgeon to Doctor if you really think about it.

Instead of saying CA or Ibank, people should refer to a career in public accounting or corporate finance.

I was getting at another point, one being that people don't know specialties in career fields until they are exposed to it. Doctors and surgeons would both fall under the medical field, but there are obviously other paths to take also (like research, nursing) but everyone wants to be the best or most popular one..But I get what you are trying to say, that ppl should say Corporate finance rather than Investment banking. I agree with that.

I'll shoot you an email soon (about programs again lol)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cloverhannah cloverhannah

@civicCA wrote

@redherring wrote

I know someone who applied for AMF PA two years ago and she didn't even get the AFMAA invitation because her average was only 82.
Was this helpful? Yes 0