yconic - chances of getting accepted?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

chances of getting accepted?

A photo of khalilch2 khalilch2
I applied to computer engineering for McMasters, Waterloo, Guelph, Queens, and Ottawa. My grade 11 marks were decent enough, however a few of my marks in grade 12 aren't that good

Grade 11 marks:
BDP3O1 92
MCR3U1 94
TEJ3M1 93
TEN3M1 95
ENG3U1 84
ICS3U1 93
SCH3U1 85
SPH3U1 85

Grade 12 marks:
MHF4U 85 (hopefully going to go up to around ~87)
SCH4U 86 (it'll stay mid 80s)
TEN4M 96 (final will be at least 93)
ENG4U 83 (final will probably be ~80-85)

and next semester I am expecting around
ICS4U at least 90
TEJ4M at least 90
MCV4U high 80/low 90
SPH4U mid 80s

I really would like to go to Waterloo just because of their co-op program so that is my first choice. I applied to the co-op program for all universities.
I calculated my expected grade 12 average with top 6 courses to be around 86 (due to the low advanced functions mark). My school is a pretty good high school and since Waterloo actually looks at the high school you come from, I expect them to maybe consider my average over some other 86s from other schools. I'm also involved with some extra-curricular activities and I think I can pull off a good AIF.

How are my chances of getting into Waterloo? and if you got accepted into Waterloo engineering how was your average like?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of mfattal mfattal
dont waist ur time worrying ull get accepted for sure

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Macer Macer
If you have an 80% average you should be able to get into Waterloo, thats one of the places I plan on going, I just got a message back from them today so looks like I'll be accepted soon, YAY.

But just keep your average above 80% and you should be fine. I'm aiming for 90% just so I can get that extra little money. Ever bit counts.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Countryrider Countryrider
I got an early acceptance and my grades were pretty close to the same but i didnt apply for waterloo. Still should get accepted though :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SOCCERFAN SOCCERFAN
you will be fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of transteph transteph
You'll do fine still, no matter what you get :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of schweitzer281 schweitzer281
your marks should be fine for getting in. When they did a presentation at my school they had said that the expected grade for acceptance this year was 80-85%. Does anyone have info on the aif at all though? soo much for recieving an e-mail in early january?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Avulet Avulet
From experience (not my own, I never applied to those schools), just an 80% average may not guarantee acceptance from Waterloo, or Queen's. Just a heads up.
But your marks are good, so don't fret too much! Just remember your average is based on 4U courses. Good luck! :cat:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of khalilch2 khalilch2

@schweitzer281 wrote
your marks should be fine for getting in. When they did a presentation at my school they had said that the expected grade for acceptance this year was 80-85%. Does anyone have info on the aif at all though? soo much for recieving an e-mail in early january?

Yeah, if you've received your Waterloo ID number you can go on quest and fill out the AIF there.

anyone have any tips for filling out the AIF for Computer Engineering?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smokelky smokelky
Odds are you will get accepted with marks like that. I would not worry about it if I were you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of schweitzer281 schweitzer281

@khalilch2 wrote

@schweitzer281 wrote

Yeah, if you've received your Waterloo ID number you can go on quest and fill out the AIF there.

anyone have any tips for filling out the AIF for Computer Engineering?

really? i had created my account on quest about 3 days ago.. but when i went on to where the aif form should be there was no link so i wasn't sure./
thanks though, i'll check it out.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of premachb premachb

@schweitzer281 wrote

Hey, I just checked my QUEST right now and my AIF is avaliable, you should check now. It's listed under Admissions, and then scroll to the bottom, you'll see it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of wendy94 wendy94

@schweitzer281 wrote

yeah, the AIF is out now. you should log into you quest account, and it'll be there. good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Shahida Shahida

@Macer wrote
If you have an 80% average you should be able to get into Waterloo, thats one of the places I plan on going, I just got a message back from them today so looks like I'll be accepted soon, YAY.

But just keep your average above 80% and you should be fine. I'm aiming for 90% just so I can get that extra little money. Ever bit counts.

You're so lucky! Which program did you apply to??
I applied to ARchitecture and apparently a lot of people get rejected. =(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of guripop guripop

@Shahida wrote

@Macer wrote
If you have an 80% average you should be able to get into Waterloo, that's one of the places I plan on going, I just got a message back from them today so looks like I'll be accepted soon, YAY.

You're so lucky! Which program did you apply to??
I applied to Architecture and apparently a lot of people get rejected. =(

Architecture at Waterloo is different from any other other their programs. There's no early acceptance for it. You submit your marks, you and 1600 others, and the AIF. Then, mid March you get an email inviting you for an interview and to write the precis test. Only about 500 people get the invitation. You go for the interview, in late April, show them your portfolio and write the precis test on the same day. Then, about 2-3 weeks later they send out their acceptances to a total of about 75-80 students. It's a very competitive program, not only for admissions but once you're in as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0