yconic - Chances of getting into Laurier econ?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Chances of getting into Laurier econ?

A photo of aaaaaaaa aaaaaaaa
top 6 12 U grades (including eng)

85 -history
84 -functions
80 -world issues
84 -cnadian issues
81 -biology
71 -english

avg= 80.8

I believe last years entrance average was 82%

Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of DecaPresident DecaPresident
Correct me if I'm wrong, don't you need two 12U math courses?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

oops you're right.

78 - data

Doesn't really change my average

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@DecaPresident wrote

You need two, but they don't have to be included in your admission average. I don't know if OP has two? Edit: you do, so that's fine.

OP, did you apply to BA Economics as your top choice at Laurier? Because if you did they will look at your ABS form, and if you have good ECs and a well-written ABS you might get an offer.

Good Luck!

EDIT again: You can use the 78 instead of the 71, so your average will be higher.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Your average (85+84+80+84+81+78) would be 82 on the dot :)

That improves your chances.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@DecaPresident wrote

You need two, but they don't have to be included in your admission average. I don't know if OP has two? Edit: you do, so that's fine.

OP, did you apply to BA Economics as your top choice at Laurier? Because if you did they will look at your ABS form, and if you have good ECs and a well-written ABS you might get an offer.

Good Luck!

yeah that was my top choice. do you think an applied economics offer is likely? I noticed the entrance averages for both programs were both 82% last year. I assume I should be near the cutoff judging from that statistic?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@aaaaaaaa wrote

@g93 wrote

@DecaPresident wrote

Good Luck!

yeah that was my top choice. do you think an applied economics offer is likely? I noticed the entrance averages for both programs were both 82% last year. I assume I should be near the cutoff judging from that statistic?

At an 82, you are likely to get an offer to Honours Economics (unless cutoff goes up to 83), and I would say that you would definitely get an offer to Applied Economics if not.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

this whole time I've been under the assumption that prerequisites are included in your top 6, is this false?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@aaaaaaaa wrote

@g93 wrote

this whole time I've been under the assumption that prerequisites are included in your top 6, is this false?

http://www.wlu.ca/page.php?grp_id=2256&p=12888#Business_and_Economics

Only says it for BBA :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

wow thanks, last question hopefully.

what source are you getting your cutoff statistic from?

if the entrance average from last year was 82% and the cutoff this year is 82/83 then the program must have become more competitive no?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@aaaaaaaa wrote
wow thanks, last question hopefully.

what source are you getting your cutoff statistic from?

if the entrance average from last year was 82% and the cutoff this year is 82/83 then the program must have become more competitive no?

The cutoff for BBA was 86 last year, and Honours Ec was 82, I'm not sure about Applied Economics but I have been told that if you don't get into Honours Ec you are likely to get into Applied Ec.

The cutoff this year for BBA is 87, confirmed by multiple Laurier representatives (at least before midterms, could go up/down after midterms). Honours Economics is usually 4-5% lower than BBA, so that would mean an 82/83.

It is normal for the cutoff to fluctuate slighty, you may have more people applying, more competition, less spots, whatever. I'm not sure exactly what the reason is for the increase in cutoff marks, but it is likely due to increased competition, which isn't necessarily a bad thing (at least if you get in).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted