yconic - Chances of getting into Queen's Commerce or Ivey AEO?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Chances of getting into Queen's Commerce or Ivey AEO?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey guys, so I saw many people do this and decided I should do one as well.
I am currently in grade 11 and will be in grade 12 after this summer has past.

My estimated average for my top 6 is 93

Now, my EC's are pretty bad.....
Does piano with RCM certificate count? (about to get my level 10)
Made it into provincials for DECA in grade 11, planning to join again and run for an executive position (mb pres?)
Part of being a mentor to grade 8 and 9 students (next year again)
Girls Club (raising self esteem for grade 9 girls)

Volunteering includes:
Summer reading councillor
Teach English at the IYC (youth immigrant center)
Varies fundraising stuff (crohn and colitis, CPAC, IIFA) but these are only one day events
I also have an unpaid job so like internship I guess you could call it at Rogers TV (where I film stuff to go on tv)

Feel free to comment and give me some advise. I know my ECs are probably too little but I don't know what else I can join with just one more year of high school left. And I want a job (actually paid one) but I've tried many places and never got accepted... :(

I appreciate your help in advance :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

I got rejected with a 93 because of poor EC's, so you're gonna have to work on those over the school year.

Make your essay's AMAZING. Do not leave it until last minute because, since you lack EC's, you're going to have to make up for it in your essay(s).

But try to get some over the school year. Like even help out at a soup kitchen 1-3 times a week or something.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Great..........

If you don't mind me asking: what were your ECs?
What can of ECs should I go for - any in particulars?
Is there anything else I can do to increase my chances?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
I've seen people with much lower averages with similar ECs get to Ivey AEO so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. You should still be looking for opportunities to show your leadership skills if you're not confident.

For the Ivey application, just put on anything and everything you can that you have done in or out of school whether they be clubs, jobs heck even a gym membership is a valid activity that with the right explanation, can make your EC history look pretty solid.

For Queens, it's harder to BS them. I'm not sure if it's still available but try to take a look at last years supplementaries - it'll give you a good idea of what you might want to do additionally for your ECs. If you can express well enough why you want to go to QC and how you've demonstrated leadership in whatever activities you have, your marks are good enough to get into both those programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote
I've seen people with much lower averages with similar ECs get to Ivey AEO so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. You should still be looking for opportunities to show your leadership skills if you're not confident.

Lol well I had a 93.3 average and OK EC's and I got rejected. It's very subjective; obviously you have a chance but there are a variety of factors which influence the decision - the main one being competitiveness. Last year (graduating class of 2015) was very competitive because usually a 93 average and OK EC's guarantees you into at least Queen's or Ivey....not this year. Another thing is the marker of the essay: Bob may find your fundraising really impressive whereas Susan doesn't find it "as" impressive (perhaps another previous applicant raised a couple grand more than you).

See what I mean? It all depends. I hope you can get in, but if not it's not the end of the world. I got rejected from both and I'm still going to a great school, and am leaning towards my CA...Ivey is not the ideal place for that!

@ChelseaWang wrote
What can of ECs should I go for - any in particulars?

hey really like leadership EC's from what I understand (executive positions are great). Of course, you can always stretch the truth a bit on those ;)

@ChelseaWang wrote
If you don't mind me asking: what were your ECs?

I helped out at a camp for 1 week for 3 summers (a leadership role), but that didn't suffice. Neither did 5 years work experience. Plus 3 sports (2 of which were from grades 9-12). Mind you, my essays weren't that good (hence why I'm saying you should work hard on them! :)).

EDIT: Oh like immaculatedx, I too have both PSE questions from this year. If you want them just lemme know and I'll PM them to you :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Marks and even good ECs don't guarantee anything if you can't explain your results and how you showed leadership in your ECs. Essays are also very important.

I know a friend who had a 97 average and good ECs get rejected from Ivey but at the same time a friend with an 88 average with bad to average ECs who sold herself well get into Ivey.

Be confident, sell yourself and you will get into all the undergraduate business programs in Canada that you want.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote
sell yourself

This. As bad as it sounds it's the best salesmen who get in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
Your volunteered at IIFA? That awards thing? That's cool. Your ECs aren't so bad, like the others said just try to sell yourself the best way possible. Pretend as if your essays are like an interview, and write accordingly. You don't have to be so formal, but not too silly either. Point of it is to use your creative license in the best way possible. Ivey AEO shouldn't be a problem, almost everyone that completed the app with a 90 got in. Queen's is going to be tough so work hard on the essays and try your luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QCman QCman
yeah , your ec's are decent. I probably wouldn't focus on the Piano so much on the app because a lot of people at queens play instruments, it isnt a very different experience to read about, unless you did something spectacular with that skills.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

thanks guys for the advises :)
I heard that if you are nominated for chancellor, you almost always get in?
Well how do I get a nomination? If I ask guidence and no one else is competing with me then will I get it?
Also, I was also thinking about applying to Rotman and maybe schulich... what would my chances for those be?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@ChelseaWang wrote
Well how do I get a nomination? If I ask guidence and no one else is competing with me then will I get it?
Also, I was also thinking about applying to Rotman and maybe schulich... what would my chances for those be?

Depending on the size of your school, it may select 2 nominees. I and another student at my school wanted to be nominated and we both got the nominations.

With regards to applying to Schulich and Rotman... for Schulich make sure your average is above 90% when applying or you will not be considered. Your ECs are good enough, but it's all about how you present and sell them. Also, make sure to write good essays.

Rotman requires an average of mid 80s and higher. Additionally, you must have over 85% in English and Calculus. Write a good essay on your sup. form.

It is very beneficial to apply well ahead of the deadline for the both programs especially if you want to get an early acceptance. Start planning early.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PepperShaker PepperShaker
z
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Subtle Subtle

@ChelseaWang wrote

I believe Queen's will shred your application once they see that error. But you look good to go for both schools.
Was this helpful? Yes 0