yconic - Chances of getting into Schulich at York?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Chances of getting into Schulich at York?

A photo of ilikeyork ilikeyork
Finished:
English 92
Physics 98

First Sem:
AdvF(80+)
Guitar(predicting 98)
Financial Securities(predicting 90)
(messed up AdvF in the beginning of the year,failed one test)

Second Sem: Econ
Earth/space Sci
Cal, probably retaking AdvF

If i retake AdvF i'm sure i can get 90+
so overall im guessing my top 6 average..will be 93+ (probably 93-94%)

but my EC are weak, because i wasnt very involved in school, i only joined a couple clubs and activities in the past 2 yrs(no ex position) and i have around 150h of volunteering.Lets say my essays and ref letters are average, what are my chances of getting in?? thx guys
(and does anyone know if the 1st round acceptance is only based on ur 1sem marks, or after they get ur mid term since in the past they sent out the 1st round at the end of march)

Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of aeryn aeryn
First round is only based on your first semester marks.
Second round is when they start looking at second semester midterms.

I'll assume you're applying to BBA.
With a 93+ average, weak EC's and only average essays, your changes are fair. It's not hard to have great essays since you have a lot of time left, and as for reference letters, you can always get lots of them and pick the best two. If you tell your teacher/supervisor/whoever it is that's writing the letter exactly what you want them to highlight, you won't end up with a bad letter.
It's the same with your EC's. You might not have any exec positions but I'm sure you can still sell yourself well, unless you're really bad at writing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aeryn wrote
First round is only based on your first semester marks.
Second round is when they start looking at second semester midterms.

I'll assume you're applying to BBA.
With a 93+ average, weak EC's and only average essays, your changes are fair. It's not hard to have great essays since you have a lot of time left, and as for reference letters, you can always get lots of them and pick the best two. If you tell your teacher/supervisor/whoever it is that's writing the letter exactly what you want them to highlight, you won't end up with a bad letter.
It's the same with your EC's. You might not have any exec positions but I'm sure you can still sell yourself well, unless you're really bad at writing.

So u mean my AdvF mark will be included in the 1st sem ? even if its bad they ll still calculate it(knowing that i ll retake it in the 2nd sem)?
or do they just look at ur top 4or5 to date
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
Yes, your first advanced functions mark will be looked at for first round admissions. If it's too bad and you don't get in then, that doesn't mean that you're rejected. They keep your application and reconsider it when second semester midterm marks come out. Then, your new advanced functions mark will be used if it is higher than your first.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aeryn wrote
Yes, your first advanced functions mark will be looked at for first round admissions. If it's too bad and you don't get in then, that doesn't mean that you're rejected. They keep your application and reconsider it when second semester midterm marks come out. Then, your new advanced functions mark will be used if it is higher than your first.

dont then send out more offers 1st round? does mean i have less chance of getting in if its 2nd round?
im kinda worried rite now thx for ur answers man
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
No, first round has the fewest offers. The majority are sent out second and third round. Keep in mind first round is considered the "early admission" round, so it's only given to the best candidates.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
To quote RichardFuld:
March break - First round, based on semester 1 grades
Early May - Second round, based on semester 1 + midterm semester 2 grades (midterm were out April 23rd last year, second round went out on may 4th)
Mid-End of May - Everyone else
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aeryn wrote
To quote RichardFuld:
March break - First round, based on semester 1 grades
Early May - Second round, based on semester 1 + midterm semester 2 grades (midterm were out April 23rd last year, second round went out on may 4th)
Mid-End of May - Everyone else

sorry last questions
is it true that after the first round they pay more attention to the sup form because there are less spots left, and is there anything i can still do to increase my chances?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
Don't think it's true, and tons of things. Get more involved, get a job, write an excellent supplementary, get great reference letters. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aeryn wrote
Don't think it's true, and tons of things. Get more involved, get a job, write an excellent supplementary, get great reference letters. :)

thx:cheers: that was alot of help
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Soccerboy Soccerboy
Okay, got the York number through email. Then went on the website, it says we only have 30 minutes to submit the supplementary form after we see it? Wtf...

shouldn't the supplementary form be found somewhere and then we print it out, and attach it with hardcopy of references?
whats the process this year?

other then recomendation + supplementary form, what else do you submit to Schulich?

thanks!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn

@Soccerboy wrote
Okay, got the York number through email. Then went on the website, it says we only have 30 minutes to submit the supplementary form after we see it? Wtf...

shouldn't the supplementary form be found somewhere and then we print it out, and attach it with hardcopy of references?
whats the process this year?

other then recomendation + supplementary form, what else do you submit to Schulich?

thanks!!

Don't know where you're getting the 30 minute thing from. What's the link?

And yes, it's a hard copy form that you print out and submit with your references.
Was this helpful? Yes 0