yconic - Chances of Queens Commerce/ Waterloo WPA
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Chances of Queens Commerce/ Waterloo WPA

A photo of pjmas pjmas
Hey guys, I am really really worried. I want to get a better idea of my chances at being accepted to either one of these programs. My marks just meet the requirements of queens commerce and a bit over Waterloo's PA program (but I have heard from various people that the PA program is very competitive and only students with low 90's gain acceptance).
My extra curriculars are:
-environmental club member
-community challenge member
-soccer club member
-creator of Business Club
-alterserver from 2005 to present
-camp enterprise participant in Trent U
-World Youth Day Canadian representative '08
-lifeguard trainee (finished bronze medallion/cross)
-Buddies and Mentors leader (leading younger grades into doing activities relevant to team-building skills)
-Music Night guitar player for 3 consecutive years

Please let me know of your thoughts and your points!! Thanks in advance!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
18 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
The admission average to PA is 92. How do you feel you did on the AFMAA? Are you a strong English student?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KevinL KevinL

@johnnycanuck wrote
The admission average to PA is 92. How do you feel you did on the AFMAA? Are you a strong English student?

What is the lowest mark you need in English? I checked the site and they said you have to have a 75+ FINAL for English. Do you need at least a 75 for midterms?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zarathustra Zarathustra
None of these EC's are worth much if you're not leading. Universities (typically business programs) like to see a leader rather than a spectator/participant.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@KevinL wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

What is the lowest mark you need in English? I checked the site and they said you have to have a 75+ FINAL for English. Do you need at least a 75 for midterms?

I don't know. I would suggest e-mailing. If I had to guess, I would say you do need 75 for midterm.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pjmas pjmas

@johnnycanuck wrote

Not really.. I think I did alright. Is the AFMAA extremely important? (how important is it as opposed to ECs and academic excellence?)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@pjmas wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

Not really.. I think I did alright. Is the AFMAA extremely important? (how important is it as opposed to ECs and academic excellence?)

They seem to value it pretty highly. The AIF is scored out of 12 and added to your mark, I don't know how they score the AFMAA, but I would say pretty important.

And you can get an offer solely based off of your AFMAA, so yes it's important.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of deca4life deca4life
The AFMAA is graded out of 20 without the marker seeing your name. Once marked, it is attached to your application.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pjmas pjmas
Okay, do you know anything about U of T missisauga's TME Commerce, King's University Business Management, and Ryerson Business Management programs? Those are my alternatives, which it seems are my available options in my situation :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@deca4life wrote
The AFMAA is graded out of 20 without the marker seeing your name. Once marked, it is attached to your application.

Where did you find that out?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of deca4life deca4life
I talked to an admissions officer that came to a Deca competition about two months ago. I also think its up on their website somewhere, like under the FAQs or something.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pjmas pjmas
johnny canuck, I see that you've been accepted to Queens! Congrats! What was your academic and EC standings like out of curiosity??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@deca4life it's not on the website, but I believe you, it seems like the right amount. So it's all out of 132, with marks being ~75%, AFMAA being ~15% and AIF being ~10% (although you can get in with just a really good AFMAA)

@pjmas Thank you. I don't think telling you my marks and ECs will provide you with any useful information

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pjmas pjmas
I know my chance are slim for getting into either anyways.. but okay then
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@pjmas wrote

You never even said what your average is. You said meets Queen's requriements barely. So, 87, 88, 89, 90 area?

You have a shot at Queen's. I would say your ECs are decent. More important are your essays. If you were able to articulate yourself well I think you have a shot at an offer.

And for Waterloo, if you destroyed the AFMAA then you could be one of the ones to get an offer without looking at marks and AIF. If not, the chances of you getting in aren't overly high. Although it is entirely possible you get an alternate offer to FM.

And what do you mean "I meet Queen's requirements, but barely meet Waterloo's"???

Waterloo doesn't have a cutoff- the cutoff was whatever it was for the invites- 82, 83, 84? I don't even know. Everyone above that has a chance to get in. If you aren't top-20% on the AFMAA, your chances are extremely low, but you still have a chance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QueensHSL2011 QueensHSL2011
If you got into Queen's Commerce or want to ask more questions. 1st-4th year commerce students are ready to answer your questions! If we don't know the answer we will contact the right people. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Queens-Commerce-2015/162152840510200 CHECK IT OUT
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pjmas pjmas

@johnnycanuck wrote

@pjmas wrote

You never even said what your average is. You said meets Queen's requriements barely. So, 87, 88, 89, 90 area?

You have a shot at Queen's. I would say your ECs are decent. More important are your essays. If you were able to articulate yourself well I think you have a shot at an offer.

And for Waterloo, if you destroyed the AFMAA then you could be one of the ones to get an offer without looking at marks and AIF. If not, the chances of you getting in aren't overly high. Although it is entirely possible you get an alternate offer to FM.

And what do you mean "I meet Queen's requirements, but barely meet Waterloo's"???

Waterloo doesn't have a cutoff- the cutoff was whatever it was for the invites- 82, 83, 84? I don't even know. Everyone above that has a chance to get in. If you aren't top-20% on the AFMAA, your chances are extremely low, but you still have a chance.

My average is looking like 87% as the lowest possible outcome by the end of the midterm, or when the marks are sent out to the universities. The waterloo PA requirement is low to mid 80s (as you know) so i just considered their academic requirement as mid 80s (like 85) to be safe, sorry for the confusion.

As for the PSE and Supplementary Essay, I am pretty confident with them as I put a lot of thought into them and had a former teacher look over it a few times, which I found that it helped them a lot, but thats just me :p

Was this helpful? Yes 0

^You have a shot I guess. Good luck :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pjmas pjmas

@johnnycanuck wrote
^You have a shot I guess. Good luck :cheers:

Thanks bruh
Was this helpful? Yes 0