yconic - Chances of transfering to UBC Sauder/ U of A business
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Chances of transfering to UBC Sauder/ U of A business

A photo of wkddnsgur wkddnsgur
I'm a first year university student at U of Alberta. I wish to transfer to UBC Sauder or to U of A Business department for my second year (I will have 27 credits when finished first year). I finished application quite a while ago and was wondeirng what are my chanes of getting accepted to UBC or UofA.

Eco101- 4.0
Eco102- 4.0 (Currently enrolled)
English 103- 3.0
English 104- 3.3 (currently enrolled)
Psych 101- 3.3 (currently enrolled)
Psych 102- 2.7
Math- 3.7
Stats-4.0 (currently enrolled)
Philosophy- 3.7 (currently enrolled)

UBC wants two economics, one math and one english. My core GPA will be 3.7 and my overall GPA with other courses would be around 3.4-3.5.

Alberta wants two econs, two english, one math and one stats. They only look at overall GPA which would be around 3.4-3.5.

What are my chances?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin
Depends on how good your supplemental application is.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@forthewinwin wrote
Depends on how good your supplemental application is.

Can you give me an example of 'good' supplemental please?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin
There are 3 main things they look for: variety of activities, dedication of activities (i.e. how long have you did ____ for continuously), and leadership (i.e. not just a 'member')

An ideal example would be:
- Basketball team for 4 years, played once a week, with ____ award
- Swim team for 4 years, played once a week, with ___ award
- Rugby team for 4 years, played once a week, with best forward/back award. Showed leadership by creating team strategies to secure touchdowns
- Worked at Mcdonalds for 4 years, 1-2 shifts a week, with crew member of the month awards
- Founder of _____ campus club, of which you spent about 5 hours a week on
- Vice President of ____ club for 4 years
- Student council
- Volunteered at ____ with some leadership role for 4 years

If you have the above you're a god... lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I thought that they also look at your high school marks as well if you transfer after a year?
That's what a representative from the CUS (Commerce Undergrad. Society) from Sauder told me before when they were making a presentation at my school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@forthewinwin wrote
There are 3 main things they look for: variety of activities, dedication of activities (i.e. how long have you did ____ for continuously), and leadership (i.e. not just a 'member')

Thank you so much.

In your opinion, do you think these are good enough? I really want some feed backs and it does not matter it sucks I want some honest opinions since it doesn't matter whether i go to UBC or UofA

3 years of School Soccer team, played right wing back, captain in my senior year (twice a week)
3 years of rock clibming club (every saturdays)
Founder/leader of Asian club at my high school (
Member of business club at my current university (every wednsdays)
worked for five months as a municipal-government intern translator (went to office twice a week and worked at home everyday)
worked as a teaching assistent for two years at after school program, taught math (three times per week, after school)
Volunteered at a hospital for an year as an assisstant for the elderlies (3hours per week)
Voulunteered at a First Nations Reserves for 3 years with church group (4 hours per week)
Voulnnteered in Mexico for a month (built houses and helped the poors)
Voulunteered in Argentina for a month, as a student leader (grade 12)

Its bit long but I would really appreciate it... thank you very much!

Was this helpful? Yes 0