yconic - changing engineering major right after you got in?and is 1st year general for every school?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

changing engineering major right after you got in?and is 1st year general for every school?

A photo of maelong maelong
as the tittle says is there any way to change engineering major ?

I really want to major chemical engineering at mcgill but don't have high grade enough, I just have enough to get in for electrical
I know there's no easy way but.....does anyone know? even in 2nd year maybe?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of asad04 asad04

@maelong wrote

I really want to major chemical engineering at mcgill but don't have high grade enough, I just have enough to get in for electrical

Generally speaking, first year engineering is general, so your choice of major won't really matter at this point. In order to change it though, I would recommend that you do well in your first year of university and then apply for the change in major at the end of the year. Changing you major after first year isn't out of the ordinary so you shouldn't be worried.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@asad04 wrote

@maelong wrote

Generally speaking, first year engineering is general, so your choice of major won't really matter at this point. In order to change it though, I would recommend that you do well in your first year of university and then apply for the change in major at the end of the year. Changing you major after first year isn't out of the ordinary so you shouldn't be worried.

my question is is first year genera for mcgill as well? and r u sure the choice of major doesn't really matter at this point?? sounds weird
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of asad04 asad04

@maelong wrote

@asad04 wrote

@maelong wrote

my question is is first year genera for mcgill as well? and r u sure the choice of major doesn't really matter at this point?? sounds weird

I just checked their website, seems like you shouldn't have a problem.

"Note for Faculty of Engineering students who have confirmed their offer of admission to the B.Eng. Electrical/B.Eng. Computer/B.S.E. (Software Engineering) program: You must select your specific program using Minerva before the beginning of classes, in your first term. To make any further change, you must consult an adviser in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (www.mcgill.ca/ece/supportstaff). If you are in another program in the Faculty of Engineering, you cannot make any program changes using Minerva."

http://www.mcgill.ca/study/2012-2013/university_regulations_and_resources/undergraduate/ug_gi_changing_programs_within_selected_faculties
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@asad04 wrote

@maelong wrote

@asad04 wrote

@maelong wrote

"Note for Faculty of Engineering students who have confirmed their offer of admission to the B.Eng. Electrical/B.Eng. Computer/B.S.E. (Software Engineering) program: You must select your specific program using Minerva before the beginning of classes, in your first term. To make any further change, you must consult an adviser in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (www.mcgill.ca/ece/supportstaff). If you are in another program in the Faculty of Engineering, you cannot make any program changes using Minerva."

http://www.mcgill.ca/study/2012-2013/university_regulations_and_resources/undergraduate/ug_gi_changing_programs_within_selected_faculties

First of all, let me say thank you
it's very nice of you to find the link for me
but i'm hoping to change electrical to chemical engineering
i'm not sure it's saying i can just switch, i think it's just saying i can switch among elec,soft, comp eng
but still thank you for looking for it, and it would be extremely helpful if you can find out a way to change to chem eng from elec eng:bball:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of asad04 asad04

@maelong wrote

@asad04 wrote

@maelong wrote

@asad04 wrote

@maelong wrote

i'm not sure it's saying i can just switch, i think it's just saying i can switch among elec,soft, comp eng
but still thank you for looking for it, and it would be extremely helpful if you can find out a way to change to chem eng from elec eng:bball:

No problem, sorry I couldn't be of more help. I didn't apply to McGill and have never done any research on their programs. I think you should email them, they'll be able to help you better than anyone else can.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of asad04 asad04

@maelong wrote

@asad04 wrote

@maelong wrote

@asad04 wrote

@maelong wrote

No problem, sorry I couldn't be of more help. I didn't apply to McGill and have never done any research on their programs. I think you should email them, they'll be able to help you better than anyone else can.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of asad04 asad04

@maelong wrote

@asad04 wrote

@maelong wrote

@asad04 wrote

@maelong wrote

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Contact McGill and ask them what's required to change majors and when you can do it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0