yconic - changing engineering program at u of t
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

changing engineering program at u of t

A photo of imnik imnik
i got at alternate offer from u of t for material engineering . i want to do computer engineering. If i transfer to computer engineering do i have to take any additional courses ? morerover, what is the condition to get a transfer ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of WaterfallOfDestiny WaterfallOfDestiny
Transfers from Material Engineering to Computer Engineering aren't normally seen. I imagine that you'd have to talk to the First Year Office (or one of the guidance counsellors from either department) personally about your situation. As their curricula are quite different from each other, you'd most likely need to take additional courses in the summer after first year. Unless you're absolutely sure about going to U of T for CompEng, I would consider other universities (since program transfer may be a difficult process in this case).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@imnik wrote
do u think ubc is a good choice then?

yes UBC is a good school and BC is beautiful.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of groovy3000 groovy3000
I was in the same situation except for a different program, so I researched how to switch programs after first year. I read somewhere on the U of T website that you can transfer from any of the core 8 programs to another core 8 program without taking any additional courses. However, being able to transfer depends on how good your mark is. The website said that if you got at least 80% in both semesters then you can automatically transfer. I read this about a month ago so I'm not 100% positive on these details, I would try and find the page i'm talking about to confirm this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele
I think the ECE's take a different (harder) calculus than the MSE's. That may be problem when it comes to transferring...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of imnik imnik

@pj2121 wrote

@imnik wrote

yes UBC is a good school and BC is beautiful.

What about the job status after graduating?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of imnik imnik

@groovy3000 wrote
I was in the same situation except for a different program, so I researched how to switch programs after first year. I read somewhere on the U of T website that you can transfer from any of the core 8 programs to another core 8 program without taking any additional courses. However, being able to transfer depends on how good your mark is. The website said that if you got at least 80% in both semesters then you can automatically transfer. I read this about a month ago so I'm not 100% positive on these details, I would try and find the page i'm talking about to confirm this.

Can u please provide the link?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of imnik imnik

@WaterfallOfDestiny wrote
Transfers from Material Engineering to Computer Engineering aren't normally seen. I imagine that you'd have to talk to the First Year Office (or one of the guidance counsellors from either department) personally about your situation. As their curricula are quite different from each other, you'd most likely need to take additional courses in the summer after first year. Unless you're absolutely sure about going to U of T for CompEng, I would consider other universities (since program transfer may be a difficult process in this case).

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Whether or not UBC is a "good choice" entirely depends on your situation. For instance, the location: it's a great school if you live in Western Canada, but it's pretty far away if your hometown is Toronto.

That being said, if you got into computer engineering at UBC and you're certain that's what you want to do, I would definitely consider going to UBC. But I also urge you to talk to the MSE counsellor about how feasible a program transfer might be.

Contact info:

Maria Fryman, Academic Counsellor
mse@ecf.utoronto.ca
(416) 978-3012
WB140 (Wallberg Building)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of imnik imnik

@WaterfallOfDestiny wrote
Whether or not UBC is a "good choice" entirely depends on your situation. For instance, the location: it's a great school if you live in Western Canada, but it's pretty far away if your hometown is Toronto.

That being said, if you got into computer engineering at UBC and you're certain that's what you want to do, I would definitely consider going to UBC. But I also urge you to talk to the MSE counsellor about how feasible a program transfer might be.

Contact info:

Maria Fryman, Academic Counsellor
mse@ecf.utoronto.ca
(416) 978-3012
WB140 (Wallberg Building)

location does not really matter as i am an international student. The main thing is the job prospectus
Was this helpful? Yes 0

UBC is probably the safest route, then. It's a good school that, although not as well-known as U of T internationally in terms of academic research, is still respected amongst Canadian universities. Job prospectus is also much greater in computer engineering than materials engineering.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted