yconic - Changing Laurier Program
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Changing Laurier Program

A photo of Rela Rela
Does anyone know if it is still possible to change your program in Laurier? I got accepted to CS/BBA in early February. My parents told me to apply to computer science because of the high demand of programmers nowadays, but the thing is I haven't taken computer science since grade 10 and I'm worried I won't be able to handle the workload due to my huge disadvantage over other students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of JonathanEtienne JonathanEtienne

@Rela wrote
Does anyone know if it is still possible to change your program in Laurier? I got accepted to CS/BBA in early February. My parents told me to apply to computer science because of the high demand of programmers nowadays, but the thing is I haven't taken computer science since grade 10 and I'm worried I won't be able to handle the workload due to my huge disadvantage over other students.

You know Sauder has an excellent program called bachelor of commerce with combined business & computer science (last 4 years like finance alone), were co-op students earn more than finance, accounting students, etc (average of 3200 a month).

You will work hard that's for sure, but it will pay off in the long run.
My problem with dual degrees is that they are long and not all things you learned in bsc would be useful for you. BTM and Sauder combined program bridges the gap and provide you with a phenomenal program that is recognized by employers.

With laurier bsc/bba, you will do well at laurier, but will get slaughtered at Waterloo. Good luck getting into top grad school with that combination. Don't forget you also have to be community involved, win awards/recognition and socialize while at your at university. It will allow you to standout, and differentiation is key in business.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@JonathanEtienne wrote

@Rela wrote

You know Sauder has an excellent program called bachelor of commerce with combined business & computer science (last 4 years like finance alone), were co-op students earn more than finance, accounting students, etc (average of 3200 a month).

My problem with dual degrees is that they are long and not all things you learned in bsc would be useful for you. BTM and Sauder combined program bridges the gap and provide you with a phenomenal program that is recognized by employers.

With laurier bsc/bba, you will do well at laurier, but will get slaughtered at Waterloo. Good luck getting into top grad school with that combination. Don't forget you also have to be community involved, win awards/recognition and socialize while at your at university. It will allow you to standout, and differentiation is key in business.

OP said they didn't want to take CS. So why the fudge would they try and apply to Sauder for something similar?

Not everyone has to go to Sauder. It's far from the be-all and end-all, and many of your points are false and/or make little sense.

Anyways, to the OP: you should be able to call Laurier and they will be able to process this request for you. Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JonathanEtienne JonathanEtienne

@caveman wrote

@JonathanEtienne wrote

@Rela wrote

OP said they didn't want to take CS. So why the fudge would they try and apply to Sauder for something similar?

Not everyone has to go to Sauder. It's far from the be-all and end-all, and many of your points are false and/or make little sense.

Anyways, to the OP: you should be able to call Laurier and they will be able to process this request for you. Good luck!

OP applied to Sauder also. My points are legit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mbijman45 mbijman45

@Rela wrote

Hey I contacted Laurier cause I was considering switching bba/financial math, and I'm sure it's similar for bba to bba/computer science, considering what I see of the other programs you got into, I'm sure you can switch it.

Hello,

If you would like to switch your program to the BBA, you will need to make the change on your OUAC application.  Please decline your offer to the Double Degree program and change your program choice to BBA.

We are about to begin another admission cycle and will pick up your new application then.  You will need to make the change by May 1, 2012 at the very latest.

Please note that it is very difficult to switch back into the Double Degree programs after you switch out, so if you're unsure what you want to do, I recommend sticking with the Double Degree for now.  You can always drop down to just the BBA once you are enrolled at Laurier.

Sincerely,
Caroline Hissa

Student Recruitment
Wilfrid Laurier University - Inspiring lives of leadership and purpose!
75 University Avenue West
Waterloo, Ontario, N2L 3C5
(519) 884-0710 ext 3385

www.chooselaurier.ca
http://virtualtour.wlu.ca/

>>> 2/27/2012 8:19 pm >>>
Hi, my name is (blank).My ouac reference number is (blank). I applied and was accepted to Laurier BBA/Financial Math on December 20. I was wondering if I could potentially change my application to just Laurier BBA, and if I decided to switch, could you do this automatically since BBA/ financial math is a higher admission average compared to Laurier BBA according to einfo. This is not what I want to do 100%. I was just wondering if I could easily do this before June 1.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@JonathanEtienne wrote

OP applied to Sauder also. My points are legit.

But OP wants out of a business/cs program. So why in the ff would he/she want to go into the program at Sauder? So what they applied there. They're not going to go searching for math/ca at every school they applied to. They want out of it!!

And not all of your points are legit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0