yconic - Chartered Accountancy at Laurier or Western?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Chartered Accountancy at Laurier or Western?

A photo of kmorgan kmorgan
Hi, I have been accepted to the western bmos and global economics program, but also the Laurier honours buisness administration. I live in London and attending Western would allow me to leave undergrad school with 0 debt, but laurier would put me 30 000-40 000$ in debt. I want to become a chartered accountant and i know Laurier has a great accredited chartered accountancy program, but Western also offers the complete "51 hour requirement". After university you must apply to Ca training offices and i was just wondering if the person who goes to Laurier over western will have an advantage in completing there CA designation? Is it worth going to Laurier and taking big debt, just because of their co-op and accredited program? Or will Western be good enough to become a CA? I'm also interested in working internationally, so would it be better to take global economics instead of bmos ( heard its not that good) ? Please correct me also if the process to becoming a CA isn't correct.
(i did not get AEO, but i would apply after second year)

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of Chara Chara
Laurier is the obvious choice, however you and your family have to decide if the extra cost is worth it to you.
Laurier is a MUCH, MUCH better program than westerns BMOS without AEO. You need to decide for yourself if its $40000 better.

As someone who took QC over my local university, which will probably put me an extra $100000 in debt, I personally would advise paying the extra for a better program, but thats just my decision, maybe ill regret it later, who knows.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster
DEFINITELY Laurier. It is one of the top schools for accounting. An excellent co-op pogram, lots of CATO/Big 4 jobs, solid reputation, most UFE gold medal winners, high UFE pass rates.

As for the costs, at Laurier if you get into co-op you can use the money to pay off most of that debt.

The other benefit of going to Laurier is that if you get co-op and you get CATO jobs, you can have 12 months of your work experience done.

The other benefit to Laurier is that you only need a 7.0 GPA between all of your accounting classes, while at Westerm you would need a 7.0 in every one of the 51 credit-hour classes. Also Laurier being fully-accredited means that you don't have to worry about counting credits as if you graduate from the accounting stream you fulfill all requirements.

Western Global Economics does not have 51 credit hours.

In my opinion the co-op at Laurier and the better program that could help you get CATO or Big 4 jobs easier is better than BMOS. I wouldn't worry too much about the debt. And you would ge the university experience that you wouldn't living at home.

It's ultimately your decision, but that is my opinion.

Was this helpful? Yes 0