yconic - Chartered Accounting Recruitment
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Chartered Accounting Recruitment

A photo of kmorgan kmorgan
What is the difference between completeing the 51 hour requirement (western bmos) and going through an accreditted program (laurier)? Is there a difference? Which one will get u a job in a CA training firm? How hard is it to get a job at a training firm, because you need 3 years experience to become a CA? Would you reccoment laurier or western bmos for a better career and future in chartered accountancy?

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
Laurier. It means that at Laurier you'll have to just complete the program and you'll get the CA courses required, whereas at BMOS you'll have to select those courses on your own, some as your electives. Laurier has the most UFE gold medal winners, Big 4 recruits from there, met some people in the accounting industry (well 3) that are from Laurier and hold a CA designation. One's working at Deloitte, one at KPMG and one at Nike. Laurier, done deal.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@goldmansachs wrote
Laurier. It means that at Laurier you'll have to just complete the program and you'll get the CA courses required, whereas at BMOS you'll have to select those courses on your own, some as your electives. Laurier has the most UFE gold medal winners, Big 4 recruits from there, met some people in the accounting industry (well 3) that are from Laurier and hold a CA designation. One's working at Deloitte, one at KPMG and one at Nike. Laurier, done deal.

ust to expand...

At a fully-accredited program, you will be considered to have met the Institute's 51 credit-hour requirement as long as you enter the accounting stream. Fully-accredited programs also give you the luxury of having your stream/required courses averaged. At a program that isn't fully-accredited, you will need at least a 7.0 GPA (B-) in EVERY class as opposed to a 7.0/B- average in the stream/required courses.

Laurier for sure. If you can get into the co-op program you will be golden, with an opportunity to complete 12 months of your experience requirements if you get CATO jobs.

Laurier as GS said has the most UFE gold medal winners, the second-highest pass rates to Queen's and Schulich, and gets very good recruitment. While at the No Limits Conference, there were many CAs (or aspiring CAs) there that went to Laurier. Many worked at one of the Big 4 (E&Y being the most common), others BDO, Collins Barrow or Grant Thornton, some worked in public firms and moved on to industry positions at RIM, Open Text, etc., and a couple went straight to industry, and some that moved into finance. I know many Laurier graduates or current students that were not at the conference that had similar luck. Granted not all of the jobs will be good, but that is the same at every school. For sure Laurier will present more opportunities than Western BMOS.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kmorgan kmorgan
Ya the only issue is that i would have to go 10,000-20,000 in debt, but if i went to western i would be debt free. Is the short term loan worth it in terms of chance to become a CA and a greater future career?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@kmorgan wrote
Ya the only issue is that i would have to go 10,000-20,000 in debt, but if i went to western i would be debt free. Is the short term loan worth it in terms of chance to become a CA and a greater future career?

You will have co-op which means you can graduate debt free. Get a job, work hard to get into co-op, get a co-op job, and you won't regret it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@g93 wrote

@goldmansachs wrote

ust to expand...

At a fully-accredited program, you will be considered to have met the Institute's 51 credit-hour requirement as long as you enter the accounting stream. Fully-accredited programs also give you the luxury of having your stream/required courses averaged. At a program that isn't fully-accredited, you will need at least a 7.0 GPA (B-) in EVERY class as opposed to a 7.0/B- average in the stream/required courses.

Laurier for sure. If you can get into the co-op program you will be golden, with an opportunity to complete 12 months of your experience requirements if you get CATO jobs.

Laurier as GS said has the most UFE gold medal winners, the second-highest pass rates to Queen's and Schulich, and gets very good recruitment. While at the No Limits Conference, there were many CAs (or aspiring CAs) there that went to Laurier. Many worked at one of the Big 4 (E&Y being the most common), others BDO, Collins Barrow or Grant Thornton, some worked in public firms and moved on to industry positions at RIM, Open Text, etc., and a couple went straight to industry, and some that moved into finance. I know many Laurier graduates or current students that were not at the conference that had similar luck. Granted not all of the jobs will be good, but that is the same at every school. For sure Laurier will present more opportunities than Western BMOS.

Could you tell me more about the No limits conference. Pm me if necessary thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dxb2ont wrote

@g93 wrote

@goldmansachs wrote

ust to expand...

Could you tell me more about the No limits conference. Pm me if necessary thanks.

Me as well please!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote

@dxb2ont wrote

@g93 wrote

@goldmansachs wrote

ust to expand...

Me as well please!

Username81 Didn't realize you wanted to pursue the CA.
Hope to see ya at Laurier!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0