yconic - chem eng
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

chem eng

A photo of Xizeta Xizeta
I am really interested in chemical engineering. Next year I will graduate from high school.

I am actually a high school dropout. However, I have recent decided to return to school. Conveniently, there is actually a regular high school for adults in my city. I have a lot of really poor grades on my transcript. Most of my grades are in the 50% range and even a couple of unsuccessful courses. Subsequently, those grades are available for the entire world to see! However, I have been doing rather well as of late.

As for credits I have to put towards my “top six”, I have a 91 in ENG4U and 97 in LVV4U. I also have a few other high nineties at the 4U level. Unfortunately, most engineering programs have a lot of prerequisites!

I just wrapped up MCR3U with a 98 and SCH3U with 96. I am currently taking SPH3U with reach ahead (summer school). I expect to do well.

Now I was wondering, are there schools that would frown upon my record? I am thinking about applying to Queens, University of Toronto, and Waterloo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of Phase Phase
Generally speaking, most schools only care about your top 6, unless you're aiming for early admission. If not, you can have 50's throughout your transcript as long as your top 6 reach above the cut-off. A 91 in ENG4U is impressive and is usually the road-block to most applicants.

However, UofT and Waterloo won't look at second attempts in your top 6 unless with good reason.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Xizeta Xizeta
Yea, fortunately I have no repeats.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
How old are you? After a certain age some universities might consider you as a "non-matriculated applicant" (see http://www.registrar.ualberta.ca/calendar/Admission/General-Requirements/14.3.html for example). Either way they might treat your application differently.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Xizeta Xizeta
I'm 23.

I saw something on waterloo's website yesterday of that nature. Definately something to look into.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
It's worthwhile asking them how they would look at your application
Was this helpful? Yes 0