yconic - Chemistry at Waterloo
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Chemistry at Waterloo

A photo of Doorhandle Doorhandle
Hey everyone, Im currently in my first year at Laurier, and I really didnt think Id be back on this forum but here I am. I want to transfer to a science program, but I sort of want to stay in this general area if I can, and Laurier isnt much of a science school so I am wondering about Waterloo. I am going to be completing additional science and math pre reqs either next semester or during the summer, and I would like to get information about UW's Chemistry program. They have co-op, which seems really great, but I havent been able to find the cutoff. Does anyone know what it is, and what their policy is on first year university students transferring there? Do they look at my university marks for admission, or my highschool marks? Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of Samiam991 Samiam991
For transfer students they look at both your high school and university marks.
This is not a common practice between most Universities who usually pick one or the other.
Just send an email to the admissions, and you will get all the information you need.

@Doorhandle wrote
Hey everyone, Im currently in my first year at Laurier, and I really didnt think Id be back on this forum but here I am. I want to transfer to a science program, but I sort of want to stay in this general area if I can, and Laurier isnt much of a science school so I am wondering about Waterloo. I am going to be completing additional science and math pre reqs either next semester or during the summer, and I would like to get information about UW's Chemistry program. They have co-op, which seems really great, but I havent been able to find the cutoff. Does anyone know what it is, and what their policy is on first year university students transferring there? Do they look at my university marks for admission, or my highschool marks? Thanks.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Samiam991 wrote
For transfer students they look at both your high school and university marks.
This is not a common practice between most Universities who usually pick one or the other.
Just send an email to the admissions, and you will get all the information you need.

@Doorhandle wrote

I do not consider myself a "transfer" student, because my program right now is so completely irrelevant that I would rather start over. Im not even finishing my full year at Laurier, I am dropping out after first semester, so I think they will just look at my highschool marks when I apply (I do not think I will be getting any transferable credits). Will they DEMAND to have my first semester university marks?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of laura14 laura14
They are pretty good about transfer credits, there can be a number of free electives in science that can be filled with those transfer credits.
I'm in waterloo science (love it!). If you're not sure what science you want to do just go for Honours Science, you can pick a specialization later.

Here's a link to the science undergrad advisors.
Contact Pam Van Allen from this list, they are great at responding to email quickly.

http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/current-students/academic-advice/undergraduate-program-advisors
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@laura14 wrote
They are pretty good about transfer credits, there can be a number of free electives in science that can be filled with those transfer credits.
I'm in waterloo science (love it!). If you're not sure what science you want to do just go for Honours Science, you can pick a specialization later.

Here's a link to the science undergrad advisors.
Contact Pam Van Allen from this list, they are great at responding to email quickly.

http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/current-students/academic-advice/undergraduate-program-advisors

Hey thanks for the information, I sent an email to the advisor. I really hope they do more than just look at marks...I want someone to understand my drastic change from communications to science so they can see my new found passion. I really want to try my hand at scientific research and whatnot, and Waterloo seems like an amazing place for that. Science rules.
Was this helpful? Yes 0