yconic - Choices Rankings in Uni Apps?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Choices Rankings in Uni Apps?

A photo of frozenyogurt frozenyogurt
Hey, anyone know if you can choose to go to your second choice if you get accepted to both your first and second choice for a degree program at a university, say for example, McGill? I applied for Engineering and Life Science, with Life Sci being my first choice. But the more I think about it, the more I would rather do Engineering.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of napinhei napinhei
The choice order doesn't mean anything at all. The OUAC application system won't automatically accept your first choice just because you got in. Universities don't even care how you rank your choices. It is only statistical information that shows universities the interest people have. It also helps universities make an estimate as to the likelihood that an applicant will accept their offer if the university chooses to give them one. They don't want to accept too many more people than they have room for in a program.

So don't stress about it. When your offers come in, you choose whatever you want and press submit yourself.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
I think he means the application for McGill, where you have to pick 2 programs for every one application you fill out. In either case, no. Your "back-up" will be counted as any other normal application and you can get accepted to both, after which you will choose. Good luck :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx

@iliketurtles wrote
I think he means the application for McGill, where you have to pick 2 programs for every one application you fill out. In either case, no. Your "back-up" will be counted as any other normal application and you can get accepted to both, after which you will choose. Good luck :)

This is true, I got accepted to both my choices separately last year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0