yconic - Choosing a college at UTSG
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Choosing a college at UTSG

A photo of willeh willeh
I have a question about how the colleges accept students. Can someone be accepted by two or more colleges at the same time? I can't really decide between, UC, Vic, or Innis. I know Vic or Innis won't look at your application unless you rank them first, so if I rank my choices as 1. Innis, 2. UC, could I get accepted to both colleges, and then I can choose which one to go to? Or do the college you ranked 2nd only consider your application if you didn't get into your 1st choice?

Also I would like some help on choose between the three colleges. I like UC the most out of these three because it's at the centre of the campus and it has quite a lot of scholarships, also you can get a room by yourself. But the residence at Innis seems really good to me because I heard it is quiet. I'm not really into parties and I hate noises when I'm studying. Also the suite style residence would probably force me to make new friends, I'm a bit shy around strangers, and I'm afraid I'll end up locking myself in my room all day if I went to UC, which probably won't happen but who knows? And I'm considering Vic as well because I like the buildings and it has a $1000 scholarship if you can get a 3.5GPA i believe?

Anyways I already applied and ranked UC first, and New college second. But I think I can still change it if I wanted right? If you know anything about these colleges please let me know! Any help is appreciated.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of Motivation Motivation
dont quote me on it, but i'm pretty sure that once you get accepted to your #1, whatever that may be, than thats the one ur going to. it makes sense because you picked it as your #1, i mean if u didnt want to go to it why rank it first?

again, i stand to be corrected but im kinda sure.

EDIT: btw, i ranked innis and woodsworth as #1 because of the fact that you dont need meal plans for those two colleges. rest there is mandatory meal plan which means an extra, at the least, 5k or something close to that. also, try and pick the colleges that offer the most scholarship opportunities for the specific faculty you are in. Im not too sure on the specifics but thats how i ranked mine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
yeah once you get into one, that's the one you're in. yes you can probably re-change the order now before you get acccepted.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of willeh willeh

@Motivation wrote
btw, i ranked innis and woodsworth as #1 because of the fact that you dont need meal plans for those two colleges. rest there is mandatory meal plan which means an extra, at the least, 5k or something close to that

Wait, you can rank multiple colleges as your 1st choice??
And if you don't have a meal plan, do you just cook yourself? That is gonna take a lot of time and also can be very tiring, I don't think I would want cook for myself, at least not in first year. And does purchasing a mealplan give you a discount compared to just buying food without a meal plan?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kitkat1 kitkat1
Which college offers the most scholarships for life science? For engineering?
Also, which one's closest to both engineering and life science?
Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles

@kitkat1 wrote
Thanks.

Engineers don't belong to a college, so they don't receive scholarships from any colleges. In general I'd guess UC or Vic gives the most scholarships but I wouldn't know for sure :P
And I think UC is on average the closest to all the classes
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of funnie funnie

@iliketurtles wrote

@kitkat1 wrote
Thanks.

Engineers don't belong to a college, so they don't receive scholarships from any colleges. In general I'd guess UC or Vic gives the most scholarships but I wouldn't know for sure :P

why not??????? i applied to engineering and the Portal asks me indicate which colleges i want to go.
But i did not remember if i ever number them in OUAC....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki

@funnie wrote

@iliketurtles wrote

@kitkat1 wrote
Thanks.

why not??????? i applied to engineering and the Portal asks me indicate which colleges i want to go.

You only pick your colleges if the program is under the faculty of arts and science. Engineering is under the faculty of engineering, so you dont get to pick a college.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of funnie funnie

@Joshki wrote

@funnie wrote

@iliketurtles wrote

@kitkat1 wrote
Thanks.

You only pick your colleges if the program is under the faculty of arts and science. Engineering is under the faculty of engineering, so you dont get to pick a college.

oh so even if you are in architecture or commerce you cant pick them too?
but if i just tick one college they will probably give me that one right.....
or they just randomly assign one for me....

damn then i dont want to go to New college............
Also its kinda not fair if arts and science students can have more scholarships...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kitkat1 kitkat1
I heard of some engineering students living at Innis res. Also some in other res's as well. So, they still aren't part of the college?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Engineers get to live at certain colleges (mostly New and Innis), but they are not actually part of the college (they have their own frosh, administration, scholarships, etc.)
You can choose one if you are in commerce or architecture, because they are part of the arts and science faculty.
Was this helpful? Yes 0