yconic - choosing a school for Psych Arts with co-op
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

choosing a school for Psych Arts with co-op

A photo of eedensp eedensp
Hey, so I'm interested in going to university for psychology co-op. but i have some issues when it comes to picking a school.I applied to brock, waterloo, and guelph. brock is close to home and inexpensive, also they have a really nice psych department, but not much credit with employers- i think brock is sort of a typical school (don't mean to be offensive, it's just i grew up in st.catharines so everyone i know went there). waterloo is a very respected school, well known for research and innovation for their technology, but when i went there was little emphasis on the psych program, they have a huge co-op program but by the sounds of it my chances on being placed somewhere related to psychology are minimal, also waterloo is a busy city which isn't exactly my sort of scene. now Guelph, it's a very well-known school, they have a co-op (not sure how good) the city is beautiful, the tuition is expensive but cost of living is lower then waterloo and it's a little closer to my family but not as close as brock. now my question is what do you think? does anyone have any advice that will help me pick a school? anything i should look for or consider when choosing
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of kaloolah kaloolah
You could also apply to UBC, they also have lots of Co-op options
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of leahquin leahquin
If you want co-op, Waterloo is definitely a great option. They have a really great psych program, theres a couple psych study buildings right near the south entrance. Also, your co-op placements wouldn't have to be in Waterloo, you could go anywhere, maybe even look for a placement in Guelph if you really love it there. It looks like you picked 3 really great schools though, so anything you choose will be awesome :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of amandagibson3 amandagibson3
I have friends that attend Guelph who love that program, it's definitley worth the extra cash
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of neuropsy neuropsy

@eedensp wrote
Hey, so I'm interested in going to university for psychology co-op. but i have some issues when it comes to picking a school.I applied to brock, waterloo, and guelph. brock is close to home and inexpensive, also they have a really nice psych department, but not much credit with employers- i think brock is sort of a typical school (don't mean to be offensive, it's just i grew up in st.catharines so everyone i know went there). waterloo is a very respected school, well known for research and innovation for their technology, but when i went there was little emphasis on the psych program, they have a huge co-op program but by the sounds of it my chances on being placed somewhere related to psychology are minimal, also waterloo is a busy city which isn't exactly my sort of scene. now Guelph, it's a very well-known school, they have a co-op (not sure how good) the city is beautiful, the tuition is expensive but cost of living is lower then waterloo and it's a little closer to my family but not as close as brock. now my question is what do you think? does anyone have any advice that will help me pick a school? anything i should look for or consider when choosing

I would definitely recommend UTSC. It offers co-op, and because scarborough is close to Toronto, there's quite a few opportunities. The professor's I've had are all phenomenal and I've really enjoyed my time here. I think the psych department may the best department in terms of faculty (of course, I'm a little biased).
Although it doesn't offer a BA, it does offer a BSc in Psychology - which actually doesn't require very much bio-based courses.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Was this helpful? Yes 0