yconic - choosing a university
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

choosing a university

A photo of cmcq cmcq
How much difference does it make in the end what university you go to? I am looking at going to a university that is considered not as good as some other schools. Although this university is really trying to get people to go there and the admission average is lower than some other places but I also don't have the best marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of Joshki Joshki
are we talking about windsor? thats the only one came to my mind..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Quiz Quiz

@cmcq wrote
How much difference does it make in the end what university you go to? I am looking at going to a university that is considered not as good as some other schools. Although this university is really trying to get people to go there and the admission average is lower than some other places but I also don't have the best marks.

As long as it has the program you want to get into, you're good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Undergrad doesn't really matter if you're going into science and will be pursuing a professional/grad degree after. Might matter more for engineering/nursing/business since you typically start working after receiving those degrees (and the school you go to will have a large impact on your networking opportunities).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
The only time the name of you undergrad institution MIGHT matter is to get your foot in the door for an interview for your first job. After that experience trumps all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
I'm pretty sure the only time it matters is when you're applying for an entry-level job that thousands of people are applying for, in which HR people get lazy and will throw out any application that doesn't meet their simple standards (e.g. Ivy league alum, executive of some university club, stunning cover letter, etc...). You'll find this to possibly be the case with Wall/Bay Street jobs, jobs at Google... that's about all I can think of off the top of my head.
Was this helpful? Yes 0