yconic - Choosing Laurier Over Ivey/Queens/McGill
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Choosing Laurier Over Ivey/Queens/McGill

A photo of prefontaine prefontaine
Hi Guys,

So far, I have gotten into Queens, Western (Eco/BMOS), and Laurier. I also greatly expect to get acceptance at Ivey and McGill. While I was once set on attending one of the big two schools (Ivey/Queens), after Laurier's presentation, I am having second thoughts.

For me, there seems to be a lot of benefits to attending Laurier. They offer excellent scholarships ($20,000 automatic), have great extracurricular opportunities, charge much more reasonable tuition/fees, and have a strong co-op program. Because I currently live in London, going to Ivey would also mean living at home, which would suck.

While I am interested in finance(and Laurier is more known for their accounting program) their co-op coordinators and professors seemed very confident that they could help me land an investment banking job on Bay Street. I feel that once I get into the industry the name of my school won't matter. I also plan to do an MBA at an international institution, later on. Does it seem totally crazy that I would turn down offers from Ivey and Queens, or does anyone think that a degree from Laurier might provide similiar opportunities?

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
33 replies

A photo of g93 g93
I am deciding between Laurier and Waterloo AFM (If I get in), and am currently leaning towards Laurier.

There are a lot of benefits to the program and the school.

If you want to go into IB, you are going to have to be one of the best in the program. It will take a lot of work. But I have heard of people at Laurier with high GPAs and great ECs landing good placements, some down in the US too. Obviously there's not going to be as many as Ivey or Queen's, but it doesn't mean you're not going to get there. (On the same toke, Ivey/Queen's doesn't guarantee you a good IB job). If you are confident in your abilities and are focused on putting the work in to be the best of the best, you could definitely do extremely well at Laurier and rival the success of people at Queen's/Ivey. There are benefits to Laurier, as it will be a little less competitive, cheaper, better scholarships, tons of clubs, etc. so it could work in your favour.

/rant
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey prefontaine

I have been accepted to some of the bigger name schools, as well as Laurier, and am not ruling out Laurier at this point. I really like the atmosphere @ Laurier and like the look of the program. Have heard some great things about it. My friends, teachers and gc are all telling me to go to a bigger-name school, but I'm not sure if I want to. I'm not listening to what they say, I'm going to make up my own mind.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prefontaine prefontaine
Thanks for the input guys. Ya, I've heard that (in the long run) the school you go to for undergrad does not have a huge effect on your career prospects. While Ivey obviously does pump out a lot more IBs, this can be majorly attributed to the fact that they get the top students who are already intersted in finance. Going to a slightly less competitive school might actually help me get better marks and participate in more clubs/events that look great on a resume and in interviews. The only big drawback that I can think of might be networking opportunities, but, after going to Laurier's openhouse, I don't think this will be an issue.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mercenary mercenary
GO TO SCHULICH!
lol jk, I really wanted to go to Laurier too... But my parents really want me to go to schulich and since it's their money I guess I'm gunna listen to them
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of vincerz vincerz
Obviously I will be biased,

and I no longer post long posts explaining things that high school kids rarely try wrapping their heads around even though it's the truth in the real world.

But.. I know a hella lot of kids that chose Laurier over schools like Ivey/Queens no lie. It's no big deal.. people choose just as good schools like Sprott and Ryerson over Ivey, it's common (outside of this forum at least).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jessiexo jessiexo

@vincerz wrote

and I no longer post long posts explaining things that high school kids rarely try wrapping their heads around even though it's the truth in the real world.

But.. I know a hella lot of kids that chose Laurier over schools like Ivey/Queens no lie. It's no big deal.. people choose just as good schools like Sprott and Ryerson over Ivey, it's common (outside of this forum at least).

Maybe it's common but I honestly don't think it's the best decision who has a goal of working for big financial firms in New York... Cost is usually an issue for Ivey/Queens so it's often a deciding factor. My sister works for this consulting firm on Wall Street and most of the companies she applied at only consider people who have graduated from certain schools (Desautels/Rotman/Ivey/Queens). Getting a job in Canada probably won't be an issue but getting one from the States would be.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lmao lmao
^ Rotman and not Schulich hah? Weird. And yeah I agree with you 100%, btw what Wall Street Consulting firm does your sis work for?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Thatguy Thatguy
Your decision should be weighed by your priorities. If your priority is to have a good time, while studying in a fairly respectable program, then Laurier is the way to go. If your goal is to push yourself and compete with the best of the best, then Queen's and Ivey are the way to go.

Laurier has a fantastic business program, and a great school as well. However if you want to work in the States then it would be wiser to pick Desautels/Ivey/Queens. Most high value employers never even heard of Laurier, I know this sounds tough but its true. That shouldn't stop you if your a go getter, and even if you are not there are plenty of great opportunities in Canada.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Pharger Pharger
Haha wasnt the presentation so persuasive? Well, i believe i also have this sort of dilemma as well, choosing Laurier over the more competitive and prestigious schools like Queens and Ivey. The way i see it when it comes to going to these prestigious schools would be "am I good enough?" Throughout high school, I wasn't the best in all my courses, i was just another potential applicant. Now having to encounter the best students from all around the world, I'm not sure if i can compete with the "geniuses" of today. Rather than just academic competition, there are external competitions like leadership roles in university and jobs. MORE IMPORTANTLY, after grad, employers only come to the university to hire the BEST students. They'll be bringing maybe 5 students to New York to test their skills.
The intense competition in these schools has really hindered my sense of realism, whether or not i would ever be able to achieve that dream of IB , Wall Street etc...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream
i'm not gonna say your making the right or wrong decision but its not easy to get a high GPA at laurier. i know people with 98% high school avg getting a 7-8 GPA in first year. If you screw up your first year, you wont get into co-op + it will be hard to transfer to another good university. But if you are willing to work hard and confident about getting a high GPA, i must say its a GREAT school for opportunities. Also remember there will be 1000+ first year BBA students and it will be really COMPETITIVE.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony
If you are planning to get an MBA anyway, your undergraduate school will hardly matter.

Also, iDream raises good points that I would have mentioned otherwise. Laurier might not be one of those top schools as far as reputation, but that does not automatically mean that it's easy. Laurier has a huge class, and you can guarantee that in those thousand students, some have also come thinking it would be easier to beat out their competition, because of the low costs, or because of the co-op opportunities. Like any other business school, Laurier will have great students and be competitive. It is a good program and you still have to work very hard. But hey, at least you're paying low tuition fees and maybe doing co-op while you're at it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@vincerz wrote

+ 1

Just don't tell them that some people choose to go the college route, it'll blow their minds :bom:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waterlooser waterlooser
Laurier Business is definitely a strong program. Queens is also extremely popular as well. I am currently in Math/Business Double Degree at Waterloo and I can say the Laurier Co-op gets you the jobs you want. Next work term (this summer) I will be working at a Top 10 management consulting firm. This is my first work term and I got it at Waterloo. If I can get these business jobs at Waterloo, you can for sure get much more at Laurier.

Queens is a really good school as well. I was choosing Queens vs. DD in high school. Thing about Queens is that you need a lot of connections to get jobs/etc. But they cream of the crop get the best jobs - and let me say they get really really really good jobs (GS, Vanguard, Citi).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ivey15 ivey15
You would have to be clinically insane to make such a choice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Bossofbosses Bossofbosses
I would consider it if it's Laurier DD with Waterloo. But just the single bba? I'll pass.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of g93 g93
Does everyone have to post twice now or something?

^There are benefits to the DD program but it's not always the right choice for everyone.

^^So some very successful people are clinically retarded. Ah, I see how it works.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted