yconic - Choosing University, Help?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Choosing University, Help?

A photo of clueless clueless
Hi guys, I don't want to sound really stupid or anything but I'm incredibly confused for choosing a commerce university. My grades are pretty good at 93 avg. and I have around 5 or 6 EC's and I guess I've always wanted to work internationally and have that experience. But at this point I literally have no clue of what I want to do with my life lol...
I was going to apply to Rotman and other universities for finance but I'm not sure if that's gonna be a problem if I want to work overseas. Should I apply to an International Business program instead?
I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on what Universities to apply to and how it can put me in an international position.

Thanks a lot!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of englishbuff englishbuff

@clueless wrote
Hi guys, I don't want to sound really stupid or anything but I'm incredibly confused for choosing a commerce university. My grades are pretty good at 93 avg. and I have around 5 or 6 EC's and I guess I've always wanted to work internationally and have that experience. But at this point I literally have no clue of what I want to do with my life lol...
I was going to apply to Rotman and other universities for finance but I'm not sure if that's gonna be a problem if I want to work overseas. Should I apply to an International Business program instead?
I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on what Universities to apply to and how it can put me in an international position.

Thanks a lot!!

With a 93 avg. you should definitely apply to Richard Ivey school of business because they have ranked in the Wall Street Journal, based on corporate recruiters around the globe, Ivey was ranked #12 among the top 25 internationally focused business schools.
Queen's Commerce, McGill, Schulich, and Sauder are also great schools to keep an eye on.

Hope this helps!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
If you're set on going international, I'd recommend one of Western Ivey, Queen's Commerce, Schulich iBBA, U of T Commerce or McGill. Other popular business programs in general include Waterloo, Laurier and Brock (all of which have their own strengths).

Western Ivey has pretty good international placement and is well recognized in Canada. Ivey is also great for finance, if that's your particular interest.

Queen's is often compared to Western and places well internationally as well. I believe that Queen's has a better international exchange program and lots of their students spend one of their years out of Canada working/studying. Schulich is similar in this aspect as you have the option of international exchange.

U of T and McGill have good international brand recognition though. They're well established universities, but I personally don't think their undergraduate programs are better than the aforementioned ones. You can likely get international jobs through U of T and McGill, but they might not be as flashy or fancy.

And yes, 93 is as high as you need for every business program in Canada.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony
I don't think you necessarily need to have a major in international business to work abroad.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki
U of T, UBC, Mcgill, pick one from those three, your good :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QueensCommerceTyler QueensCommerceTyler
If gaining the international experience is important to you, definitely apply to Queen's. The international exchange program is unparalleled - over 80% of third year students study abroad for a semester (and that number is rising). With over 80 partner schools in over 30 different countries (numbers that are also rising), students learn in unique international environments that appeal to them. I'm going next year and am extremely excited :)

If you have any questions about the program, post it or throw me a PM.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nehalkazim nehalkazim

@QueensCommerceTyler wrote
If gaining the international experience is important to you, definitely apply to Queen's. The international exchange program is unparalleled - over 80% of third year students study abroad for a semester (and that number is rising). With over 80 partner schools in over 30 different countries (numbers that are also rising), students learn in unique international environments that appeal to them. I'm going next year and am extremely excited :)

80%??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QueensCommerceTyler QueensCommerceTyler

@nehalkazim wrote

@QueensCommerceTyler wrote

80%??

Yup. No typo. And that's considered a conservative estimate.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Finance27 Finance27
I think one thing that people miss out on, is that Ivey is a 2 year program, you'll be learning somethin else in years 1/2. Then also research 'case study method'
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Finance27 Finance27
Was this helpful? Yes 0