yconic - Civil Engineering
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Civil Engineering

A photo of plaidboy plaidboy
How is the pay and employment rate for Civil Engineering? I'm considering to add this to my 3 choices when I apply to Waterloo, because it seems like an interesting field of engineering.

I'm also interested in the mechatronics field. Does anybody know what the employment rate is, and examples of applications that need mechatronic engineers?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
I won't give any opinion but it's pretty obvious that comparing the two programs, the smarter and more ambitious students go to tron as compared to civil.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

just because of the average needed for admission?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@plaidboy wrote

Of course not, averages cutoffs are placed based on demand. If more people want to get into a certain program, then the school has to increase the cutoff for that program.

Tron definitely has more potential I guess than Civil. You can't really compare them that way though - it doesn't work, they're different.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm not comparing though, I just want to know the type of work mechatronic engineers do, and also if civil engineers have a good employment rate. I read from somewhere that civil engineers can lose jobs easily.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
How does tron have more potential than civil? Civil engineers are pretty popular and definitely needed. You will never be out of a job, as you will always need buildings and roads. And infrastructure is something that usually gets invested in during recessions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

yea civil engineering does seem like a steady job. But do they get paid on commission or employed based on projects like architectures?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly

@immaculatedx wrote

@plaidboy wrote

Of course not, averages cutoffs are placed based on demand. If more people want to get into a certain program, then the school has to increase the cutoff for that program.

Tron definitely has more potential I guess than Civil. You can't really compare them that way though - it doesn't work, they're different.

Maybe I misunderstood... but the way you put it in your first post pretty much does compare the two. Personally civil is one of the most interesting engineering disciplines to me, while I have no intention of looking into mechatronics. I'd like to this its not because I lack the intelligence or ambition to pursue it, but rather I just don't find that it would be a program that I would enjoy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@plaidboy wrote
yea civil engineering does seem like a steady job. But do they get paid on commission or employed based on projects like architectures?

That's kind of a silly question. There are literally thousands of different jobs a civil engineer could do, and the way they get paid would be different for all of them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0