yconic - Classes back to back
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Classes back to back

A photo of sneezingisnotfun sneezingisnotfun
Will you be late for your next class if you schedule classes back to back?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of jplank jplank
A class that's an hour long will usually only last 50 minutes in order to give students time to make it to their next class. So, a class running from 1pm to 2pm, will actually end at 1.50pm. So, the only real problem would be if you attended a university with a large campus. I went to UWO and once had classes back to back that were on opposite sides of campus. I ended up cutting it a bit close during the winter a few times. But, overall, you should be fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Usually they give you 10 mins in between classes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of laughingcloud laughingcloud
I'm going to a school with a relatively small campus, so I have no worries about getting to classes on time.

But that aside, is it a good idea to have lectures back to back? Can anyone with experience give me some advice?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@laughingcloud wrote
I'm going to a school with a relatively small campus, so I have no worries about getting to classes on time.

But that aside, is it a good idea to have lectures back to back? Can anyone with experience give me some advice?

Yes it is a great idea. One hour breaks are useless. Now if you are going to have 6 lectures back to back, that might be tiring, and you might want one break to split it up, but otherwise I avoid breaks whenever possible.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chrysocolla chrysocolla

@laughingcloud wrote

Lasy year, I had two classes back to back on a Wednesday where I was in class from 10 AM to 2 PM. I liked the way my schedule was for the day because after classes were over, I could work on assingments, eat lunch and take care of any other tasks that needed to be completed. I suggest that you don't have more than two classes back to back (when they last 2-3 hours) because you'll get tired and lose focus in class. However if you want to have 3-4 classes in a day and clustered together, remember to take one break for every two classes if you can.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SimpleElegance SimpleElegance
I'm going in to my first year of University, and for me I think it's really about how you focus. For me, I put a few things back to back just to balance the day (and make it a shorter school day so I have extra time in the evenings).

I think it really depends on if you're going to use the time. If you have an hour break between classes and are ACTUALLY going to use it to study (a lot of people say this but don't), then go for it, but for most back-to-back classes seems like a good option, especially if you have a small campus :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner
Back-to-back lectures are normally a good idea, as long as you don't put more than 3 hours worth back-to-back. At least for most people I know, after about three hours you start to lose focus and it becomes painful to have to concentrate through another class.

As long as you aren't on a huge campus, where getting from one class at one end of campus to a class way on the other end, then back-to-back classes are the way to go.

I personally like to have a couple of classes back-to-back in the mornings, then a break to go to gym and work out, or go for a run, or teach a fitness class (I'm a certified group fitness instructor), and then have labs/tutorials in the afternoons. YMMV.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of scoobygiggles scoobygiggles
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Like the previous posts mention, you usually get out of class a little earlier than what your timetable says. It's sometimes necessary for professors to be able to set up for the next group of students.
If you're worried about it, talk to your professors and let them know you may be early/late. They're pretty understanding about it... after all, you didn't make the schedule or the building plan.
I had two classes that were separated between 20 minutes of walking from building to building. I usually left class 25 minutes before my next class to be on time. (I should mention the first was a practical class, 3 hours long, and the second was only 1.5 hours). Both my professors were ok with this, and it worked out great.
Was this helpful? Yes 0