yconic - Clinical Depression
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Clinical Depression

A photo of Stranger Stranger
Have you experienced it? If so, how severe was it and how long did it last? What helped you recover? How did it affect your life?

Do you believe depression is an illness or just an excuse that lazy people use?

I'm bringing this topic up because many people don't seem to understand what having clinical depression is like.

I'll try to keep this short...

I've been depressed for at least four years. I'd say the severity of it ranged from moderate to severe all through high school and mild in the late years of elementary school. I was at my worst about two years ago when I thought about death and suicide every single day.

What was it like for me?
I was very irritable and as cliche as this may sound, I felt dead inside. The future looked bleak and not worth living through. Happiness was non-existent. I literally felt like I was unable to feel happiness. At the most, my mood would be a bit "elevated", but nothing close to happy. Even when I laughed at something funny, I still felt like I had this anchor tied to me. The apparent cheerfulness of laughter and smiles was very superficial.

Depression isn't just emotional; it affects you physically. I felt exhausted all the time. I could sleep in for hours - heck, I could sleep for a week straight and still feel absolutely drained upon waking up. Things that seem really simple such as changing, showering, and brushing my teeth were a chore for me.

Things were a jumble in my brain. It was difficult to concentrate and think clearly. It was like my mind was in a fog. I'd often read a sentence and not understand what I just read. It was like my brain wasn't processing the information normally. I'd have to reread the same sentence over and over again. Similarly, someone could speak to me and the information would pass straight through my ears. Of course, this made absorbing information in class doing doing school work very difficult. It was a vicious cycle as stress only fueled my depression. Most people with depression have their marks drop, but I did manage to maintain an average above 90 through high school. (So I get offended when people think school is easy for me since I pretty much killed myself on the inside with stress overload).

Things are getting better now... Antidepressants were surprisingly helpful. I was quite skeptical about them at first, but it has made noticeable changes.

What frustrates me is how many people trivialize clinical depression. It's more than just feeling sad. It's not something you can fix with a little bit of will power. Depressed people don't just act depressed for attention.

Maybe you are thinking, "Boo hoo you! We all have problems!"
Well, I've heard that way too many times. Think what you want, but saying that only tells me that you don't understand... (Am I just asking for trolls here?)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
30 replies

A photo of NelyNelson NelyNelson
good read. I think it definetly is an illness. But you probably could overcome with willpower.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Definitely a good read. Interesting to hear from someone who experienced it. I haven't, so dunno how much I can comment on it but it seemed as though you lose your raison d'être at some point, and when that happens I really don't think willpower matters.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dmgirl dmgirl
Well you should know that you're definitely not alone. Depression affects one in five Canadians. Most people are too embarrassed to ask for help so I'm glad to hear that you found medication to be helpful. Sometimes people have the blues, but when you find that you just aren't interested in the things you used to be passionate about, you have no energy and life is weighing down on you, it's best to talk to someone about it! Thanks for sharing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LawBound LawBound
I'm in the same boat, and couldn't agree more. I was diagnosed with BD and others which I don't fancy mentioning, at a very young age (14).

I can't stand people who say things like: "If you try harder, you can overcome this!" or "Get out and do something, you'll feel better!" To them I say: GTFO and stop being ignorant.

Great post!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MaxwellEdison MaxwellEdison
I was clinically depressed until I realized.... happiness is a warm gun.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bobbobby bobbobby
thank you for sharing your story. i hope that you will recover from it
depression is the most common and most treatable mental illness. i think more people should be informed about it
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom
I am glad to hear that you're overcoming it. I find the psychology of emotions, and how medications work to ameliorate them, fascinating. You should read up on it if you ever find the time.

I also recommend you read www.postsecret.com every Sunday. It gives you hope that you're not alone.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GuruBlathers GuruBlathers
Depression? Isn't that just a fancy word for feeling "bummed out?"
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats
I never thought depression was that intense...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
moderate-ish for a year or two. mostly over it. took antidepressants for a few months but am off now.

it wasn't super-intense-i-wanna-kill-myself type thing, more like i-don't-wanna-do-anything-except-sleep-and-mope-around-in-my-room, and trouble focusing and whatnot. I definitely get the "you're just lazy" thing, especially from my parents. Sometimes I wonder if I just am...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of morganlefay morganlefay
Thank you very much for sharing your story. I have a friend that was diagnosed with clinical depression a couple of years back. Since then, she's gone through some rough patches. Thank you for voicing some of the opinions I have developed by witnessing clinical depression. It's not something you "get over," or "shake off." It's something people deal with everyday. It's more than being in a bad place, it's brain chemistry and that is not something that you can easily make better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Anyone who thinks depression is something you can get over with sheer will power is ignorant.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ No kidding.

How do you feel about people who say "just get over it" or "suck it up"?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of HeroOfCanton HeroOfCanton

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
Anyone who thinks depression is something you can get over with sheer will power is ignorant.

Thank you. That kind of thinking makes depression seem like something petty and harmless, which it clearly is not.

http://i.imgur.com/UqeLk.jpg
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DiddlySquat DiddlySquat
I've never been clinically depressed, but sometimes when I am feeling somewhat bummed out, I like to exaggerate and claim that I am "depressed." The reaction of those who have actually experienced depression and how they take offense to my use of the word is quite comical.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx

@GuruBlathers wrote
Depression? Isn't that just a fancy word for feeling "bummed out?"

It shouldn't be, although that's how people use the word now. Medically, depression isn't feeling "bummed out", it's an actual chemical imbalance
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vlada vlada
i was diagnosed with depression, anxiety, ocd, and an ed and i CAN SO relate to you !!! especially about the sleeping part, all I dream and what everyday is to sleep for the rest of my life !! and reading is very hard, I too read sentecnes 5 times over and then a 6th time just to understand :S I hope there is help in universities for these types of problems .... :S like guidance councellors and what not as i am going in september
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom

@vlada wrote
I hope there is help in universities for these types of problems .... :S like guidance councellors and what not as i am going in september

Universities provide counselors and there are clubs in place too for this sort of thing. You're not alone.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of deathangel deathangel
I agree. Depression is definitely not something you can get over in a short period of time, even when you have finished all the prescribed medication.

I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety two years ago. Although I have finished all the anti-depressants prescribed to me and by now should supposedly be "recovered" from depression, I sometimes still have trouble breathing when I feel really anxious/upset, which is why I keep the tranquilizers prescribed to me years ago even though my mom told me to throw them away... just in case. The pills definitely helped a lot, but I really need to find a way to make myself not be so dependent on them.
Depression is definitely not something you can get over easily, and those who think otherwise have no idea what depression feels like.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Cherylrawn Cherylrawn
i always say just take one day at a time do not worry about the small stuff
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo

@Cherylrawn wrote
i always say just take one day at a time do not worry about the small stuff

Wow. If only getting over depression were that easy...

A depressed person would have a hard time taking one day at a time and not worrying about the small stuff. That's part of the reason why people with depression are depressed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

In my opinion, depression is frequently amplified by insecurity. Honestly, I don't there's anything you can do about it. Make friends with people more depressed than you, maybe?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Leesh1993 Leesh1993
I have depression. So I know how it feels like. Everyday is just a drag. I always feel physicially tired and I once slept for 15 hours straight. There's nothing to look forward to and everything and everyone is annoying. I always want to be left alone. I manage to keep myself going by eating chocolate (no joke) I eat chocolate every day. Also, I talk to my friends and counselor.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of leviaidan leviaidan
I was diagnosed with clinical depression at 16. My mom was embarrassed and angry at me. I was given medication and an opportunity to go to counselling. My mom eventually made me give up the medication (200mg of Zoloft). Worst period of my life.
Was this helpful? Yes 0