yconic - Clubs @ Waterloo
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Clubs @ Waterloo

A photo of Stranger Stranger
What clubs/associations are you planning to join? I just looked through the list of clubs at UW, and I'm pretty excited to join some of them.

The list of clubs: http://feds.ca/clubs-services-and-societies/clubs-list

Here are some that interest me:

Film Creators Club
Computer Science Club
Game Development Club
Website Designers Club
Toastmasters
Photography Club
Parkour Club
Tae-kwon-do Club
Yoga Club
Gamers Club
Advertising Agency
Twisty Puzzles Association
Debate Society
Atheists, Agnostics, and Freethinkers of Waterloo
Waterloo Space Society
Chess Club
Chocolate Squares Club
Think Tank

Too bad I won't have enough time to join all of them. D:
They all seem pretty fun.
:colors:

My top ten choices are in blue.

Was this helpful? Yes 0
33 replies

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456

@Stranger wrote
What clubs/associations are you planning to join? I just looked through the list of clubs at UW, and I'm pretty excited to join some of them.

The list of clubs: http://feds.ca/clubs-services-and-societies/clubs-list

Here are some that interest me:

Film Creators Club
Computer Science Club
Website Designers Club
Photography Club
Game Development Club
Toastmasters
Parkour Club
Tae-kwon-do Club
Yoga Club
Gamers Club
Advertising Agency
Twisty Puzzles Association
Debate Society
Atheists, Agnostics, and Freethinkers of Waterloo
Waterloo Space Society
Chess Club
Chocolate Squares Club
Think Tank

Too bad I won't have enough time to join all of them. D:
They all seem pretty fun.
:colors:

My top ten choices are in blue.

You probably won't have time for all of them. I would suggest going for two or three max in first term (particularly if you plan to be really committed). The coursework is a PAIN.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Do you go to UW? :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

To my everlasting shame, yes. Yes, I do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Arctic Arctic
CS Club - $2 membership gives you 4 months worth of internet hosting. :D And even if you don't pay, I do believe your site stays up.

UW Concert Band Club!

Dragon Boat Club!

For first-years, I'd say to go to as many 'general info meetings' as possible and sign up for as many clubs as possible on Clubs Day. You can par it down to however many you want - there is no commitment usually.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blurX blurX

@SUMmer123456 wrote

which program?:bball: and what shame..you should be proud of yourself:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sky7ar Sky7ar
interested: PK, CS, film. game dev sounds cool/fun too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Sky7ar wrote
interested: PK, CS, film. game dev sounds cool/fun too.

PK as in parkour? :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Bear and Bull
Capital Markets
DECA
Impact Connect
Management Consulting Club
Think Tank
WIREX
ToastMasters
Accounting and Finance Student Association
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
Definitely don't overload yourself .. and pay for a bunch of memberships that youll never use (thats what I did XD) haha there are also a few clubs that sorta died over the past few years, and some clubs that are new and unlisted on the FEDS site.

If youre in AFM, you need to get involved with AFSA right away, because after 1st year, it's pretty much impossible to get in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@blurX wrote

@SUMmer123456 wrote

which program?:bball: and what shame..you should be proud of yourself:cheers:

Math/CA lol. I usually am proud...when I'm not in UW :P hahahah. But honestly, it is what you make it of it. Which program are you coming for this fall?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Narrowing my choices down...

Film Creators Club
Computer Science Club
Game Development Club
Website Designers Club
Toastmasters
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom
What's "Toastmasters"? And you're going to narrow it down further, right? That seems like too many clubs to be committed to.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Toastmaster's = club where you practice your public speaking.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote

Yeah, I suck at and am scared of public speaking, so I'm hoping that Toastmasters will help me with that.

@littleroom wrote
And you're going to narrow it down further, right? That seems like too many clubs to be committed to.

Yeah, probably. :p I know I definitely want to be in the Film Creators Club. That would be my #1 choice. Hmmm... I don't want to eliminate any more. D:
They all seem fun or helpful.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blurX blurX

@SUMmer123456 wrote

Math/CA lol. I usually am proud...when I'm not in UW :P hahahah. But honestly, it is what you make it of it. Which program are you coming for this fall?

I fully agree with what you said, university is really tough and I'm really nervous about the challenges that I'm about to face.

I'm not really sure yet..either CFM or CS co-op. Do you have any friends in CFM?

@Stranger wrote

Film Creators Club
Computer Science Club
Game Development Club
Website Designers Club
Toastmasters

Yeahhh, these clubs seems to be practical and useful.Especially the last one (facepalming at my poor public speaking skills:batman: .....)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@blurX wrote

Yeahhh, these clubs seems to be practical and useful.Especially the last one (facepalming at my poor public speaking skills:batman: .....)

You should join Toastmasters with me. :D I don't want to be the only socially awkward person there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@blurX wrote

@SUMmer123456 wrote

I fully agree with what you said, university is really tough and I'm really nervous about the challenges that I'm about to face.

I'm not really sure yet..either CFM or CS co-op. Do you have any friends in CFM?

@Stranger wrote

Film Creators Club
Computer Science Club
Game Development Club
Website Designers Club
Toastmasters

I know of people in CFM. CFM is actually a massively tough program. Honestly, I rate it as the toughest program to survive in the School of Accounting and Finance (a lot tougher than Math/CA, in fact).

Everything in life is a challenge. It was a challenge when you learned to walk and talk. Making your first friend was a challenge. Staying committed to your future was a challenge in high school. But you made it. You'll make it here too :).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blurX blurX

@SUMmer123456 wrote

I know of people in CFM. CFM is actually a massively tough program. Honestly, I rate it as the toughest program to survive in the School of Accounting and Finance (a lot tougher than Math/CA, in fact).

Everything in life is a challenge. It was a challenge when you learned to walk and talk. Making your first friend was a challenge. Staying committed to your future was a challenge in high school. But you made it. You'll make it here too :).

wow..do you mind telling me why CFM is so hard? By looking at the degree requirements, CFM is just CS without upper year hardcore CS courses with all the electives being AFM courses. Right? Is it hard because you have too much to focus on? or it is because the CS part :bounce:

Much appreciated for the encouragement as well =)

@Stranger wrote

You should join Toastmasters with me. :D I don't want to be the only socially awkward person there.

Definitely:cheers: and I'm sure we are not alone:cat:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster

So it has nothing to do with toast...?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@thecookiemonster wrote

So it has nothing to do with toast...?

LOL.
Nope. :3

(But there is a cheese-related cheese club though).

@blurX wrote

Yay! That makes me :D.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@blurX wrote

@SUMmer123456 wrote

wow..do you mind telling me why CFM is so hard? By looking at the degree requirements, CFM is just CS without upper year hardcore CS courses with all the electives being AFM courses. Right? Is it hard because you have too much to focus on? or it is because the CS part :bounce:

Much appreciated for the encouragement as well =)

@Stranger wrote

The thing is that Waterloo CS is pretty damn tough. The assignments are ridiculously intense and require a massive time commitment to do (at least when you get to a certain point in the term). Now, I'm not sure if you've taken CS or not before, but a lot has to do with your prior experiences with CS. Are you good at CS? If you are, you may not find it that bad. If you're not (like I wasn't), you will struggle. CS is just one of those things where you have to have a certain mentality. If you have that way of thinking (or can adopt it), you will survive or even excel. Otherwise, you will beat yourself up over taking it.

Take it for what it's worth. Just sharing my experiences. May or may not be true for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@SUMmer123456 wrote

The thing is that Waterloo CS is pretty damn tough. The assignments are ridiculously intense and require a massive time commitment to do (at least when you get to a certain point in the term). Now, I'm not sure if you've taken CS or not before, but a lot has to do with your prior experiences with CS. Are you good at CS? If you are, you may not find it that bad. If you're not (like I wasn't), you will struggle. CS is just one of those things where you have to have a certain mentality. If you have that way of thinking (or can adopt it), you will survive or even excel. Otherwise, you will beat yourself up over taking it.

Take it for what it's worth. Just sharing my experiences. May or may not be true for you.

Hmm, this actually kind of excites me. I think I'm decent at CS, but the CS courses I took weren't that challenging. I got the CS awards in gr. 10 and 11 though. :p
I'm pretty sure I'm going to just take the CS (co-op) now so I'll have more time to work on the CS projects. =D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
Your HS CS curriculum and UW CS curriculum might not correlate at all. The assignments aren't bad. You basically upload your code onto this site that checks it over for you, and you get 3 tries every 12 hrs. And you probably get assignments every 1 or 2 weeks. It can be annoying debugging if your prof/TAs didn't elaborate well enough in the assignments.

CS exams are a lot of fun though, haha at least for the ones ive written so far, theyre like little brain teasers here and there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@SUMmer123456 wrote

Meh. This is an overexaggeration. The standards are not particularly high--the amount of competence it takes to pass CS 135/136 is minimal. Standards stay pretty low throughout undergrad. UW likes the money of smart and less gifted CS students alike!

But if you really want to get something out of it, you're going to have to work hard. And definitely above and beyond the curriculum. I highly recommend taking the advanced courses, even just trying them out to see if they're for you. The normal courses don't hold a candle to them. If you're just taking the regular courses, you're going to have to do a lot of learning outside of class to get to where you really should be.

But to the parent here--you claim you are Math/CA. A strong math background should make CS much easier, presuming you take the time and put the work in to understand it. Though I suppose you could be taking mostly applied financial math courses, or even memorizing rather than learning. Whatever the case, it sounds like you have zero interest in CS, so of course it would be difficult. Having no interest in any field makes it much harder to succeed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0