yconic - College student pursuing CA
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

College student pursuing CA

A photo of refresh905 refresh905
Hello,
I will graduate from seneca college with a 3 year diploma in Accounting and Finance in august, with a GPA of between 3.7-3.8. I have contacted University of Waterloo for AFM, where i really want to go but they will put me back to first year which i don't want to do. Can i please get some helpful advice as to what should i do from here. Which university i should apply to and whether co-op is that important or not. I am pursuing a CA designation.

Thank you
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of g93 g93
Do you know what credits ICAO will approve? If not I would suggest contacting them to see what you need.

I hear Ryerson is the school to go to for completing CA credits. My cousin went to a 4-year college degree program and then took classes at Ryerson to complete his credits, and wrote the UFE in September (not sure yet if he passed). I guess a lot or most of the college students take courses at Ryerson.

Besides Ryerson, you could look at Laurier (it's a "transfer-friendly" school, so I hear), McMaster, Carleton, UOttawa, Brock, Guelph, or any others you can think of and see if you can figure out how many credits they would likely transfer you. Some of them might be low, some might be high.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What do u mean by the ICAO credit?

my college is linked to laurier, york and ryerson and a bunch of others so most likely i will get many credit from them. I am kind of leaning towards laurier because of its co-op but i dont really know about it's reputation. Honestly, i have never heard of laurier a year ago which makes me think its not that good of a university:!:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@refresh905 wrote
What do u mean by the ICAO credit?

he 51 credit-hours required by ICAO. My cousin who went to a 4-year college degree program for accounting had x number of credit-hours completed, so he only needed y credits at Ryerson.

@refresh905 wrote
my college is linked to laurier, york and ryerson and a bunch of others so most likely i will get many credit from them. I am kind of leaning towards laurier because of its co-op but i dont really know about it's reputation. Honestly, i have never heard of laurier a year ago which makes me think its not that good of a university:!:

Laurier is one of the top schools for accounting. It has a great co-op program, it's one of a handful of schools fully-accredited by the ICAO, students are well-trained and are quick to be employed, and Laurier students frequently dominate the UFE.

I could be wrong, but I am fairly sure that you will not be able to transfer into co-op at Laurier.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround
You won't be able to complete all of your required CA courses at Waterloo without going back to first year. They don't like people entering their "elite" program to pick up the extra credit hours you will need. It's the same reason why you can't really enter their Macc without a degree from Waterloo, which is totally ridiculous. Your best bet is probably York. Laurier will be along the same lines as Waterloo and from what I understand, does not offer all 51 credit hours anyway, or atleast never used to (unless it's changed?). You will also not be able to enter their co-op program without retreating to first year.

Unless you are from Waterloo, I would avoid the city altogether and just finish your required courses in Toronto at York, which I assume you live there since you are graduating fron Seneca. Find out the courses you need to take and what the ICAO will recognize, then contact York.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@kiddinaround wrote
Laurier will be along the same lines as Waterloo and from what I understand, does not offer all 51 credit hours anyway, or atleast never used to (unless it's changed?).

Laurier has been fully-accredited for awhile (and was the fourth school to become fully-accredited I believe).

@OP: Have you checked with this link? Within Toronto, you could complete at York, Ryerson or even Seneca itself, and outside Toronto there is a bunch of others, not including Laurier.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

http://www.icao.on.ca/Admissions/QualificationProcess/ScheduleofUniversityCoursesforInstituteCredit/1014page1184.aspx

Seneca:
http://www.icao.on.ca/Admissions/QualificationProcess/ScheduleofUniversityCoursesforInstituteCredit/1014page8017.aspx

York:
http://www.icao.on.ca/Admissions/QualificationProcess/ScheduleofUniversityCoursesforInstituteCredit/1014page1242.aspx
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@kiddinaround wrote
Laurier will be along the same lines as Waterloo and from what I understand, does not offer all 51 credit hours anyway, or atleast never used to (unless it's changed?).

Laurier has been fully-accredited for awhile (and was the fourth school to become fully-accredited I believe).

Not if he is not going through the BBA or AEBA Program:

http://www.icao.on.ca/Admissions/QualificationProcess/ScheduleofUniversityCoursesforInstituteCredit/1014page1235.aspx

"STUDENTS WHO DID NOT GRADUATE FROM THE HBBA or THE HBAEA PROGRAMS:

Students who did not graduate from the HBBA or the HBAEA programs at Wilfrid Laurier University but are enrolling in courses at Wilfrid Laurier University to complete the 51 credit-hour requirement may not receive Institute's credit hours for BU486 or for BU497F (IFRS). They must must complete courses in EDP Auditing and in Business Information Systems at another institution or complete BU456 and BU415 to meet these requirements. In addition, they can only receive 3 Institute's credit hours toward the Advanced Accounting Elective (BU417). When the content of BU497F changes, eligibility for Institute's credit hours outside the Accredited Stream will be updated.``
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@kiddinaround wrote

@g93 wrote

@kiddinaround wrote

Not if he is not going through the BBA or AEBA Program:

http://www.icao.on.ca/Admissions/QualificationProcess/ScheduleofUniversityCoursesforInstituteCredit/1014page1235.aspx

"STUDENTS WHO DID NOT GRADUATE FROM THE HBBA or THE HBAEA PROGRAMS:

Students who did not graduate from the HBBA or the HBAEA programs at Wilfrid Laurier University but are enrolling in courses at Wilfrid Laurier University to complete the 51 credit-hour requirement may not receive Institute's credit hours for BU486 or for BU497F (IFRS). They must must complete courses in EDP Auditing and in Business Information Systems at another institution or complete BU456 and BU415 to meet these requirements. In addition, they can only receive 3 Institute's credit hours toward the Advanced Accounting Elective (BU417). When the content of BU497F changes, eligibility for Institute's credit hours outside the Accredited Stream will be updated.``

Honours Business Administration (HBBA) and Honours Economics and Accounting (HBAEA) are the same as BBA and BAEA.

All that quote from the ICAO is saying is that if you didn't graduate from either program, and are just taking courses to complete the 51 credit-hours, you will not get the credits for a couple of the 4th year courses unless you completed a couple other courses at another institution or a couple courses at Laurier. And they will only get a certain number of credit hours in the one course until the content is changed.

Minor technical stuff.

Laurier's two programs are fully-accredited, but there is no option for the OP to transfer (unless they want to start in first year) so this is all useless anyways.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

i have contacted brock and they said i wont be qualified for coop if i am granted 5 + transfer credits. Therefore non-coop is not really apealling to me.

I dont mind starting first year at waterloo or laurier as long as i get in coop but is 3.7 out of 4.0 gpa good enough? And do they look at seneca marks more or highschool b/c my highschool average wasnt as good. I averaged 75% with mixed up courses.

Thanks for replying everyone
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DayOnBay DayOnBay
You should be applying to any schools that offer all of the 51 credit hours courses required to achieve the CA designation. Schools that offer those include Queen's, Brock, Waterloo, Toronto and York.
Was this helpful? Yes 0