yconic - College Workload Vs. University Workload?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

College Workload Vs. University Workload?

A photo of Ohseedee Ohseedee
Hello everyone,

I am a student currently on disability who, due to mental health issues, has decided to attend college instead of university. University may be a possibility in the future, but at the moment I don't think I could handle it.

That being said, I am curious: does anyone know the difference in difficulty between college and university? I know that it would depend on the program, so let me provide a personal example: I will be taking either the Social Service Worker program or Child & Youth Worker program in college; How would that compare to say, a BA in Psychology in university?

Any input is greatly appreciated, thank you! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
1 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Like you said it depends on the program, some programs at a College I'd consider much more difficult in terms of work load than some programs at a University, and vice versa.

Considering the program you are going for at the College, consider this program at the University level, click the link: Honours Child & Youth Studies (B.A.) - Brock University

It's true that employers value a University degree higher than a College diploma, but I think a blend of practical and theoretical education is nice. So consider either finishing off your diploma program and go onto University for a B.A. or go to University for your B.A. then take a post graduate certificate at a College.

But definitely check out the program I linked you. Psychology is considered in my opinion and from what I see in the world of Academia both a science & a social science. You'd have to be prepared to learn the biological foundations of behaviour, neurobiology, perception, sensory systems, neuropsychology, etc...

Psychology isn't counselling and talking about problems like 85% of the people I talk to think it is. That's only a small fraction of what Psychology can be!

I know for a fact that with an undergraduate degree in Psychology, or Kinesiology(another area of study I'm considering), that I need to prepare myself for years of schooling in order to make myself employable. I'm actually going to go to College after my undergrad or depending on how my GPA is I'll apply for graduate or professional school.

Was this helpful? Yes 0