yconic - Commerce or Science?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Commerce or Science?

A photo of tiffengee tiffengee
I've gotten into Western Ivey and Queen's Commerce but also a couple of Science programs such as McMaster Life Sci and Western and Waterloo Health Sci, I know my decision should be based on what I want to do more, but I enjoy both and am in kind of a tough spot. Any suggestions?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of g93 g93
Western/Ivey DD? (could drop one or the other)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

Very true! I kind of want to take advantage of the exchange opportunities at Queen's though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of yhempler yhempler
If you enjoy both equally...then
Commerce-definitely!

Here is why:
People who graduate with a commerce degree are highly in demand at many organizations, so you will have a much easier time finding something to do after graduation.
There is also no definite ceiling in terms of how much income you can make in the future.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@yhempler wrote
Commerce-definitely!

Here is why:
People who graduate with a commerce degree are highly in demand at many organizations, so you will have a much easier time finding something to do after graduation.
There is also no definite ceiling in terms of how much income you can make in the future.

I totally agree, but for Science I would definitely aim for med school or I'm aiming to go to grad school for physiotherapy. I guess that would be more years of school though...and more debt to pay off.

See, this is the constant debate that goes through my head everyday :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jeffhe Jeffhe

@yhempler wrote
Commerce-definitely!

Here is why:

That's not entirely true. Finding a job in business can be really competitive as most people who go into business are by nature fierce competitors. That's just what business is. In comparison, having a science degree just like having a computer degree can easily land you a job if you have the skills that your employer is looking for.

In terms of salary, it is true that going into business can bring in a huge income, but thats only for the few really successful ones. Don't forget that the majority of people who go into business still make less than 100k a year while becoming a doctor can earn you much more. In the end, it all depends on the ability of the individual.

I recommend that you do some self-reflection and ask yourself what you're truly interested in. Don't forget that you can always study business after you get your science degree to perhaps one day open your own practice somewhere down the road. If after your self-reflection, you still feel equally about them, I would personally recommend you to go with science for the reason that I feel like it's more practical and less risky than commerce. As well, you will be at the height of your learning capacity, so it would be the best time to study science, a very heavy knowledge based subject. Business can always be learned later on in life. I see business as more of an experience type of thing rather than knowledge. Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I agree with all of the above! ^
My thoughts were the same about how I could go into science first and then do business later if I really wanted to, and then I got accepted to Queen's Commerce....grr, I've always wanted to go to Queen's.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jeffhe Jeffhe

@tiffengee wrote
I agree with all of the above! ^
My thoughts were the same about how I could go into science first and then do business later if I really wanted to, and then I got accepted to Queen's Commerce....grr, I've always wanted to go to Queen's.

It's a fantastic program, but I've heard also heard a lot of negative things about the people there from a 4th year commerce student. If nasty politics is not your thing, then maybe you should reconsider. But really, none of us will know what it's really like until we go there.

Don't forget that Queen's is hell expensive too :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Jeffhe wrote a nice post. He's right, you need to do some soul searching.

But really, its not about what you should do to be less risky - you have to choose what you think you will be most successful in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@tiffengee wrote

@g93 wrote

Very true! I kind of want to take advantage of the exchange opportunities at Queen's though.

Ivey has exchange opportunities as well. I'm not sure if you can go while completing a DD though. Western probably has some too. I don't know if it's possible with a DD, or if it would be really difficult or anything, but you could look into it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chara Chara
All the programs you've been accepted to are the top in their fields, so no matter what you choose you can't go wrong, and if you don't like it, you can always switch second year.

I was having the same debate with myself last year, and in the end I choose commerce because if I couldn't make it into med school I didn't want to end up a physio or a job of that nature.

Also, spending that much time in school isn't something id want to do anyways.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LandLBoy62 LandLBoy62
Science is incomparably more difficult than commerce/business. If you want to challenge yourself, if you want to push your intelligence to a point where it has never been pushed before, go with science. The sciences and applied sciences including engineering, are largely problem-based meaning thinking and inquiry is a huge component. All other pure science, general science, applied science, or mathematics program will definitely challenge you.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of colakid123 colakid123
Wouldn't doing science at Western with AEO be the best of both worlds?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
To the OP, I'm in a similar situation - deciding between architecture or business. I love Ivey's HBA program and I know it would open more doors/provide me with more useful connections for a rewarding career than waterloo engineering. However, I've chosen to pursue an architecture undergrad degree instead, simply because, as Jeffhe mentioned, it's a specific skill that allows you to always be qualified for a job, whereas commerce is a more risky field in terms of landing desired jobs and promotions.

I would recommend the double degree at Western. The reason it exists is for students like you!!

Or, go for the science degree and then do an MBA. Most people study for an MBA in their late 20s so you'd have time to do it if you really wanted to.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IveyRecruiting2011 IveyRecruiting2011

@g93 wrote

@tiffengee wrote

@g93 wrote

Ivey has exchange opportunities as well. I'm not sure if you can go while completing a DD though. Western probably has some too. I don't know if it's possible with a DD, or if it would be really difficult or anything, but you could look into it.

+1, and you can do an exchange with most DD programs. You just need to plan your courses in advance (i.e load up your science in either year 4 or 5. But absolutely do-able.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yaroslav64 Yaroslav64

@yhempler wrote
Commerce-definitely!

Here is why:

The job market is flooded with commerce grads with bachelors degrees. It's much harder to find a job with a degree in commerce than science. As far as the ceiling I bet if you go by average recent science grads make more than recent commerce students, people seem to think that commerce students make a lot of money because they hear all these stories about over night billionaires meanwhile those guys only represent 0.001% of the field.

Was this helpful? Yes 0