yconic - Commerce/Econ (Queen's McGill UBC)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Commerce/Econ (Queen's McGill UBC)

A photo of jokoop jokoop
I'm certain I want to apply to apply to a commerce or arts (for economics) program.

My top choices for Commerce would be Queen's or McGill, with UBC as a backup.
Could someone give me a good breakdown of how these school ATMOSPHERES compare? I have a good idea of the admission requirements and academia.

Also, how does a BA with a major in Econ compare to a BComm?

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of cfws1992 cfws1992
I think I can help you out here buddy. I'm a second year Econ student at McGill, but Kingston (Queens) is my hometown, i've lived there my entire life. I was accepted for commerce and econ at both schools, and I decided on econ because its a great degree to have in terms of transferability, and I'm not 100% sure if I want to business in the future. As far as econ goes, its definitely not easy, as its all problem-solving and manipulating graphs/equations. It's a language of its own. I like it alot, because everyone knows its tough, and it is, but it makes sense and is relevant. Plus, people know that an econ degree means you can really think/solve problems. Commerce is great too though, you definitely can't go wrong in your choice of programs.

School wise, Queen's is a very tight-knit feeling, with lots of school-spirit and a definite community feel. The student ghetto is a city of its own, and its amazing - lots of fun, active atmosphere, its very lively. the campus is also in an amazing spot, in terms of being within walking distance of everything you'd need (downtown kingston, the water, campus). I personally love the Queen's atmosphere, and the tons of my friends that go there also love it. its very much a community feel, and everyone is proud to be a part of the school.

This is maybe the complete opposite of McGill. school spirit is non-existent, and there really isn't a defined community feel. with that being said, its right in the middle of a big city and the student ghetto area isn't as defined or cultured. I definitely miss the school spirit and defined community feel, but i'm personally a fan of that. McGill is great though in terms of being in a perfect place within downtown montreal, and the campus is beautiful. its obviously a very respected school, and there is tons of opportunity for fun and partying.

So it just depends on what you value, and what kind of things you're looking for in a school. Let me know if you have any more questions about either school/city or whatever. good luck
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of firefox390 firefox390

@jokoop wrote
I'm certain I want to apply to apply to a commerce or arts (for economics) program.

My top choices for Commerce would be Queen's or McGill, with UBC as a backup.
Could someone give me a good breakdown of how these school ATMOSPHERES compare? I have a good idea of the admission requirements and academia.

Also, how does a BA with a major in Econ compare to a BComm?

Thanks!

I can only comment specifically about UBC since I went there. I personally found the atmosphere in UBC to be an 8/10 (9/10 in Commerce community and 7/10 for outside Commerce). If you live on campus, you'll have a great time with meeting ppl and finding stuff to do. Off-campus, you'll hate commuting. I find school spirit to be very bi-polar...you have half that are extremely proud and passionate about their school, while the other half could care less (basically the majority are the nerds in comp-sci or engineering). Also if you're liberally minded, you'll fit right in at UBC.

What's great about McGill is its short distance to the downtown clubs and pubs. In UBC, it takes 30 mins (by transit) to get to downtown. However, UBC literally has dozens of Greek frat/sorority houses lined up together within a single street. Problem solved! I know Queen's has TONS of keggers happening off-campus and consistently heard positive things about the rez life there.

For UBC, I strongly would consider going there again if I was given the choice between these three schools. The best thing about Sauder would be the students you meet. I truly felt that there wasn't a single student I met that didn't contribute to the Sauder community through ECs or even through a lively debate in the classroom. Maybe the same can be said for Queen's, but you can appreciate the experience at Sauder so much more because of the diversity there.

Setting my bias aside, I'd say you can't go wrong with picking any of these three schools. They've definitely got different qualities to each of them; but it's all about finding the one that is the right fit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jokoop jokoop
With regards to McGill I'm hoping to check it out very soon because I don't really know what Montreal is like at this point... I have seen Queen's and like the community atmosphere but am drawn more to Montreal than Kingston. I've taken French all through high school but am in no way fluent; if I'm looking for a part time job or other opportunities in the city will that hinder me at all? In terms of Econ/ Commerce I think I'm leaning towards econ (at Queens or McGill) from what you've told me, its good to hear an econ students perspective.

As for UBC, I would probably live on rez first year. Commuting doesn't sound too appealing right now, would you say its best to stay on campus? Commerce is sounding great at UBC; I`m glad to hear about the community in that program.

Thank you both so much for the input, its extremely useful info.
Only downside is now I want to go to all 3 schools even more!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GameTime GameTime
I'll contribute to UBC as well.

I am a first year Sauder student and it's absolutely AMAZING. Like the previous poster stated, the community is exceptionally close and living on res is the best decision for anyone. Every individual has something to them and they are all thrilled to be there.

I can't say much about the other schools but I would definitely consider UBC.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki
For Mcgill, im just wondering what if I know nothing about French...would it still be a good choice to go to mcgill?

Or is it possible to learn French while attending 4 years of uni at mcgill without actually taking french courses from the faculty of arts?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony
If you want to get a part-time job off-campus, somewhat decent French is needed. It's a requirement for all service jobs. My advice: say you speak French, wing it, and get a job in an English-speaking area. Or hey, just get an on-campus job.

That being said, McGill is completely English and all services in Montreal are offered in English too (very bilingual city). If you take up self-study of French or enroll in mini-courses, there is a large amount of French/Quebecois people you can practice with. It won't be forced onto you but if you really put in the effort to learn French there's no reason why not.
Was this helpful? Yes 0