yconic - Comparing University course difficulty?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Comparing University course difficulty?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
So, I want to ask about the difficulty of university courses; specifically 1st year courses.

The courses I plan to take are ENGL 121, ENGL 122, ECON 101, ECON 102, BIOL 107, MATH 114, STAT 151, ASTRO 120, PSYCO 104, PHYS 124.

I need to sort them into Fall semester and Winter semester. Since I need to apply for Business faculty transfer, I want to put the easy courses in the Fall semester, that way I can have a higher GPA when applying into Business. This is a the University of Alberta by the way. We are required to take prerequisite courses in 1st year before applying into Business. So I'll be completing my 1st year in the Science Faculty.

A few other things I would like to know:

- Is STAT easier or MATH? I'm not very good at calculus, in fact I'm horrible at calculus. So would Stats be easier than Math?

- Do you think PHYS will be easier or ASTRO(astronomy)? I'm ok in physics I guess if I try.

- Should I choose to take PSYCO(psycology) or Earth and Atmospheric Science? I like biology and I'm good with memorizing; like memorizing picture/function to term, just like in biology. I'm not really sure how PSYCO course will be like?

- Are 1st year Econ courses easy? There are 2 that I have to take: introduction to microeconomics, and introduction to macroeconomics. What do you actually learn in these courses?

I would be thrilled if you would schedule which courses I should take in which semester for me.

Thank you very much
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456
1- Stat relies on calculus to some extent (i.e. if it is a probability course). However, I think you can get through it even if you are sub-par at calculus (for the majority of it in any case). Don't take math if you think you're not good at calc; you will not have an enjoyable term.

2- University physics is a pain; unless they actually value harder courses. Astro should be an easy A.

3- Not too sure about this. Don't know enough about either to really say.

4- First year econ is a joke. Just go to class, and do the readings. No sweat.

I would look for online descriptions of the courses. You should get a good idea from the topics listed. I don't think asking people to create a schedule for you is a good idea, to be honest. Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@SUMmer123456 wrote
1- Stat relies on calculus to some extent (i.e. if it is a probability course). However, I think you can get through it even if you are sub-par at calculus (for the majority of it in any case). Don't take math if you think you're not good at calc; you will not have an enjoyable term.

2- University physics is a pain; unless they actually value harder courses. Astro should be an easy A.

3- Not too sure about this. Don't know enough about either to really say.

4- First year econ is a joke. Just go to class, and do the readings. No sweat.

I would look for online descriptions of the courses. You should get a good idea from the topics listed. I don't think asking people to create a schedule for you is a good idea, to be honest. Good luck!

Math is a requirment isn't it? Yea, so I think I have no choice whether to take it or not.
Was this helpful? Yes 0