yconic - Competitive program= lower GPA???
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Competitive program= lower GPA???

A photo of kyla_d kyla_d
Hey guys,

I am interested in applying to medical school and am thinking that attending a less competitive program for undergrad will allow me to get the highest GPA possible. I am gonna need that high GPA for my application to medical school. I have applied to Guelph for Biomedical science (I would say its pretty much in the middle in terms of co mpetitiveness/ difficulty as far as I know), Western Bio-med(Quite competitive) and Laurier Health Science(The least competitive of the three). Now obviously I have never been to any of these schools but these are just educated guesses. Right now im leaning towards Guelph, as I don't think it will be as competitive as western and I do really like the program and the school. What do you guys think? More competitive program= lower GPA??? Do you think this is a good plan?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of xXxUfacStorAxXx xXxUfacStorAxXx
I think that you are over thinking this. The med school acceptance rate in Ontario is something like 14%. You need to be a great student regardless of where you go. Trying to find shortcuts will only help so much.

That said, I think you should pick the program that is the best fit. If you are extremely worried about GPA then look I would look into Guelph and Laurier in more detail. This is your choice though; it's a personal decision. Personally, I'd rather be at Western than those other two universities and get more out of the college experience.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I don't think that's necessarily true. If you are a good student and a hard worker, you are likely to do well no matter where you go.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I understand how everyone is saying if you're a good student, you'll do well everywhere. Obviously there are people who can get 4.0 GPA everywhere...but most of us aren't like that.

So if GPA really differ much from university to university, then we should pick the university that can provide the best GPA, am I right?

Just wondering though, how much do you guys think the GPA can fluctuate if, for example, you go to Carleton University instead of McGill?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xXxUfacStorAxXx xXxUfacStorAxXx

@brian524 wrote
I understand how everyone is saying if you're a good student, you'll do well everywhere. Obviously there are people who can get 4.0 GPA everywhere...but most of us aren't like that.

So if GPA really differ much from university to university, then we should pick the university that can provide the best GPA, am I right?

Just wondering though, how much do you guys think the GPA can fluctuate if, for example, you go to Carleton University instead of McGill?

^Probably a lot.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KaituoKid KaituoKid
I'm curious, how does Guelph not satisfy the college experience?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of awwwwyea awwwwyea
Well... I dunno know about y'all, but for my own safety I'd rather have a doctor who truly made his way through med school than one who took shortcuts to get there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kyczevag kyczevag
I'm in the same problem here. But, I'm a little overwhelmed. I'm in grade 11, and seriously considering a medical career, in psychiatry.

I haven't researched it yet, but I keep hearing and seeing "Guelph" as a good choice for a less competitive environment. I have no idea where to start in terms of picking a school though, and which route would give me the best shot. Any tips?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Most of the people who go on to get in and excel in med school are the ones who genuinely enjoy being challenged and learning with like-minded people. Keep in mind you may be bored or frustrated in a less competitive environment, especially if you have to do any group projects where other students may not care about their future/grades.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted