yconic - Complications with pirvate schools?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Complications with pirvate schools?

A photo of MrRodney MrRodney
I repeated my grade 12 year in pirvate school and I wanted to know if in anyway it would effect my application to universities such as schulich, western, queens, and waterloo?

Grade 11 average 70
Grade 12 (first time) 84
Second time 91.6

Top 6
Philosophy 96
English 90 repeated
Calcu 85
Function 87 repeated
History 95
International business 95

All pirvate school credits
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Rela Rela
You spelled private wrong every time, don't waste your money applying to competitive programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of johneidude johneidude
Last I checked, admissions does not discriminate too much between private and public. That being said, even though your "redone" grades are fine, your supplemental could bring you down (for reasons that are stated by Rela).

Honestly though, imo Uni's should look unfavorably at some private schools where people pay to do well, they should also look unfavorably and re-done courses. Someone redoing a course and getting a 90% having the same chance against someone who just did it once and got a 90% is simply unfair to the person who is actually capable.

Lastly, dont go to a hard Uni, such as UofT. Uni is much tougher than HS, and a lot of Uni's weed out students in the first year, and chances are, you would be weeded out unless if you totally change your work ethic during Uni (and even then it may not be enough).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ilikeyork ilikeyork
You didnt specify which private school you went to so I can't comment on the "legitimacy" of your marks(we gotta admit some private schools are actually good and they make you work hard).
Out of the schools you mentioned above I think only Waterloo cares, since they ask you where you got your credits from.
That being said, you'll be fine for all the others as long as you write a letter that explains why you retook everything.

Ps: Stop hating, think of it this way if you can: if people around you are less hardworking/committed then you'll have an advantage ..to be the best in your class(and we've all heard about bell curving in uni)

Ps2: But I seriously don't understand how you would misspell "private" the whole time. My browser has auto spelling check:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4
k guys- you shouldn't hate. as for the private misspelling- this is studentawards, not a uni app. who cares?

and mr.rodney - which private school?

-i dont think it matters (from what i've heard) but you will have to write a letter explaining it (i think). did you switch from public in your first year to private in your second year of gr.12?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Super Super
I don't think it would affect you too much to take COURSES at private school. However, RE-DOING and ATTENDING a private school would be very unfavorable for admissions.

Oh BTW, it's AFFECT... not EFFECT.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dimethylamylamine dimethylamylamine

@MrRodney wrote
I repeated my grade 12 year in pirvate school and I wanted to know if in anyway it would effect my application to universities such as schulich, western, queens, and waterloo?

Grade 11 average 70
Grade 12 (first time) 84
Second time 91.6

Top 6
Philosophy 96
English 90 repeated
Calcu 85
Function 87 repeated
History 95
International business 95

All pirvate school credits

Western and Queen's don't care. Best of luck on your applications.
Was this helpful? Yes 0