yconic - Compressed Time Frame/ 2nd Degree Nursing
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Compressed Time Frame/ 2nd Degree Nursing

A photo of avg avg
Hey, was just wondering if there was anyone else out there who has applied for compressed time frame nursing anywhere?
I have applied at UWO and am curious about when offers will come out and any other details about the program!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
22 replies

A photo of lmh2113 lmh2113
Hi avg,

I also applied to the uwo compressed nursing program for the fall 2012 entry. Although I haven't heard anything back yet I have been on a couple forums to see if anyones heard back yet. According to (http://www.premed101.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60) - there are some people receiving acceptances into the program already.

I asked what their background was and they said they had a 4 year honours biology and MSc in physiology with a 3.8+ average... it seems like its going to be a battle to get one of the 56 seats.. lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of avg avg
hey lmh2113 im pretty sure i saw that exact post your talking about and replied to it! i am super nervous about knowing!
after hearing his average and the MSc thing im thinking those were the offers to Top applicants, which may be good because that means more should be out in maybe 2 weeks?
anyways im hopeful because he said a 3.8 gpa was about 87%, and if that is a TOP applicant at least were not up against some people wwith like 95% averages.
i read on one of these forums that last year the cut off for admission was 81% sooo if it stays around that this year maybe we will get in!
not gonna lie, i honestly did not think nursing would be so competitive, like in highschool i swear everyone i knew got in with no problems, but back then i wasnt sure it was for me ...
anyway keep me posted on any more information you find out about UWO CTF nursing !
thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

hey avg,

i saw your reply lol i am part of that thread too :) its nice to know someone else is as anxious as i am about getting in. i know its super early but you're right, i think its pretty fair that the top applicants who have an undergrad and a masters get in before anyone else lol.. nice to know last years cutoff was around 81. also, the way the other thread said to convert your average is the way i did it, unfortunately i took my undergrad at mac and they go by this really dumb marking scale. i know what you mean about it being competitive, but they take hundreds of applicants out of high school and from what i hear this program is no joke.. some of my friends who were top of my bio classes last yr at mac who are taking the advanced nursing at mac are saying there are times that the content/pace of the course is wayy over their head.

keep it updated though, i hope we both get in!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of avg avg

hey lmh2113,
i did notice a name similar to yours on that thread!

i have a friend in this same program at MAC and it sounds tough, but you have to be willing to do all the work. the western one seems to have a LOT of clinical hours so i reallly am hoping to get in because i want as much work experience as possible!

have you heard of anyone else getting accepted to UWO yet besides those 2 people?
i honestly was not expecting to hear about an acceptance until mid march to april, so hopefully by then they will send them all out! i live in australia currently so i really cant go and book a flight home until i got some education prospect locked in..

i reallly hope i am sort of right about that cut off average because i kind of decided late to apply to this, and did not apply to other schools, which was my fault being so indecisive about my future!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

hey avg, wow australia! why would you ever want to return here? haha jk :)

sounds like the only people getting in have two degrees, did you say you had a kin degree from waterloo? I have a HBSc in biology from mac, the only thing is i am currently taking an online anatomy and physiology through athabasca university so i doubt i will hear anything back from uwo until i have completed that course since it is a prereq..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of avg avg
Hey lmh,
Being an international student is wayyy too expensive for me, so I am really hoping to get into this at home and save my money!
I also have a HBSc like you but in Kinesiology from Waterloo. I completed my degree a year ago, so I already have the pre-reqs, but I'm thinking that my average might be too close to the cut-off to hear anything soon.
Fingers crossed for both of us! I'll let you know if I hear anything!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of avg avg
Also, did you apply for Accel Nursing anywhere else??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

what do you mean your average is too close to the cut off? i find it hard to even give an educated guess where i stand compared to everyone else.. over 500 applicants and 56 spots? i guess part of me is hoping a lot of people who apply dont have an HBSc like we do.. lol
and yes i did apply to the queens program, but i think only ~30 ppl get in so i doubt id be accepted there
Was this helpful? Yes 0

spoke too soon, got an acceptance email about 30 mins ago from Queens..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of avg avg
Ah im jealous! Congratulations!
I so wish I would have applied to other schools and known I wanted to do this earlier. Well, considering most of those 500 applicants who apply to Western would probably also apply to a few other schools with CTF nursing, people will be accepted to more than one program and have to choose eventually which will open up there spot if you know what im trying to say? So of those 500 people who applied to Western, a few hundred probably applied elsewhere and have their top choice preference maybe not at UWO, so although 56 spots out of 500 seems daunting, its really not that many when you consider how many actually have Western as their #1 top choice out of all the places they applied.
i mean i read your average was 84% which is good and mine is more like 82/83 depending on how they actually calculated it so I just fear I am too close to that 81% cutof that I read about...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

haha thats really not that big of a difference, and my 'average' is also estimated so it could vary too.. im fairly confident we will both we sitting in the same classroom come September :) so no worries!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of avg avg
i hope so! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey avg,

so i just talked to a lady in admissions at western who especially deals with the compressed nursing program. the reason i called was to clarify if i had to complete this online course in order to get into the program, since Queens had emailed/called me yesterday to tell me they wont be needing my online course mark at all.

her name was Cathy and she was incredibly helpful. She said that as off right now there have been ~10 offers made and that the "current cutoff" for the program is about 85%. However, she expects this number to drop a bit (obviously) as they start to send out offers to other students. Since the deadline is today, they are holding the admissions meetings for this particular program this week.. she also said that they will give conditional offers usually only to students who have a strong science background with competitive marks.. so she actually ended up bringing up my transcript and told me over the phone that she cant make any promises but since i have a strong science background and nearly all As in my last two years of school that I would be a "great candidate to give a conditional offer to". I thought I would post this for you because she really calmed my nerves and im sure if you gave admissions a call and requested to speak to her she could help you out too :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of avg avg
hey lmh,
that relieves me ALOT that they've only made 10 offers so far! still quite a few seats left! buttt i really do hope the cutoff drops a bit, because 85% is a bit too high for me ... thats soo nice that she told you you would be a good person to give a conditional offer to, i think im too nervous to call and ask, but im hoping that my science background is good enough for them!
well let me know if you hear in the next couple of days! i will let you know if i get lucky and hear something too!
good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of morraa2 morraa2

@lmh2113 wrote
spoke too soon, got an acceptance email about 30 mins ago from Queens..

Hey! I also got accepted to Queen's for Accelerated :). Waiting on Mac though..so fingers crossed. I'm assuming UWO is your first choice based on previous posts?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

yup UWO would def be my first choice! good luck with mac's program :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I just saw my application status on my UWO's student portal change to accepted!! :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of avg avg
OMG! Congrats!
I just checked mine and I have not yet :( , but I am glad they have the acceptance ball rolling because I hattttte waiting! Maybe its a good sign that there down to the 84%, hopefully they will make it to me soon!
Ah, I'm so jealous!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kdun kdun
if anyone knows the answer or can help me out i'd appreciate it!!

i'm planning on applying to a compressed time frame/2nd degree nursing program. for sept 2013
i talked to a nursing direction at trent and she told me i can do the bio credits and psych credits as my electives first year for the history program i got accepted to for sept 2012.

however, i don't have grade 12 4U chemistry at all and I didn't get 65% in Math and she told me i could upgrade them at a college.
does anyone know about this?

and if i upgrade them, do they just check to see if i got min 65%, and then use my 1st year university credits and average to get accepted to the program?

thanks so much!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of avg avg
hey lmh,
just out of curiosity. you said earlier your average was about 84%. Was that for your last 2 years of your undergraduate or overall? If it was the last 2 years, what was your overall undergraduate average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

sorry kdun i am not sure.. but you will need two full years of university credits which include the stats anatomy and physiology

avg, that average i gave was my last two years including my stats from first year.. I didnt have a strong average overall because i nearly failed my first year of school. (my cumulative average was 8.5 at mac, i think thats only a B). I got my act together tho and pulled up my marks in third and fourth year tho, i had only one B+ in my last two years of school. im not sure if it had anything to do with it, but i never took bird courses in my last two years, i took all of the third and fourth year biologys offered and did an honours thesis too..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

my letter for the offer of admission says i have until march 30th to accept, im sure the next round will come out soon!
Was this helpful? Yes 0