yconic - CompSci/Bioinformatics @ U of A?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

CompSci/Bioinformatics @ U of A?

A photo of springbok springbok
I'm in Grade 12, going into General Science at the University of Alberta; torn right now as to whether to pursue a bio/chem or compsci route.

I'm an IB Diploma student, taking the following:

Bio SL
Math HL
Chem HL
Philosophy SL
English HL
French SL

I have at least low 90s in all my math/sci subjects, including calculus. I did robotics in junior high, really enjoy the math I've taken in high school, and regularly do math contests. However, I also have an interest in biochem, and a lot of my course selection reflects that. I've also been thinking about pharmacy and healthcare as potential career options.

I've been looking into bioinformatics as well at the U of A, and it seems that you can do either a compsci degree or a biological sciences degree, both with a specialization in bioinformatics. Does anyone know the significant differences between these two routes? Is it easier to pick up a compsci/math foundation and then learn the biology or vice versa?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
0 replies