yconic - Computer engineering professions and healthcare
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Computer engineering professions and healthcare

A photo of Engineer Engineer
Hi, I am a 3rd year computer engineering student at the University of Toronto and I am interested in using my technical knowledge in hardware/software design to help people with disabilities or health deficiencies. I've been researching up on this lately but any advice in this field (career paths, job prospects, etc.) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@Engineer wrote
Hi, I am a 3rd year computer engineering student at the University of Toronto and I am interested in using my technical knowledge in hardware/software design to help people with disabilities or health deficiencies. I've been researching up on this lately but any advice in this field (career paths, job prospects, etc.) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have a friend who does Visual Basic Programming (Not like the amateur one with the IDE, like i mean through DOS). Anyways, he is at Waterloo right now and graduating next year, he got a co op placement with the ministry of health to develop the software they use for Patient check-ins and some back end server level work.
So it definitely is possible.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thePurpleEngineer thePurpleEngineer
Hey,
You can take a look at SciCan: http://www.scicancanada.ca/
This company designs dental instrument washers. It's not quite the humanitarian profession you were describing, but it does exist and is profitable.
They hire PEY's... (They probably already hired someone by now.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0