yconic - Computer Engineering vs Software Engineering:
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Computer Engineering vs Software Engineering:

A photo of leeming leeming
Which one do you prefer and why?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Computer engineers design computers and the basic software that runs them, including both personal computers and the "embedded" computer systems that run cars, aircraft, videogames, etc. They deal with more hardware. Software engineering deals with building and maintaining software systems. Depends on your interests. I'd personally prefer building computers rather than working on software systems.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
What Respects said. It's basically hardware vs. software
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SOCCERFAN SOCCERFAN
it's true that computer engineering is more related to hardware than software engineering.
but we can not say that software engineering is more related to software than hardware engineering.

reading both websites of UT/UW:
you could find that computer engineering students have lots of software jobs in co-op;
some of them enter giant software companies like microsoft,google...
computer engineering students have lots of software jobs after graduation: such as games,software developper...
embedded technology need lots of software too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ShelleyWatson ShelleyWatson
I think computer engineering has more scopes as compared to software engineering today. Computer engineering comprises the training of both software and hardware components. Thereby increasing the range of caliber of the students when it comes to job opportunities or work areas. Whereas software engineers get detailed training in software components only. They don't study hardware components in detail.
Was this helpful? Yes 0