yconic - Computer Science @ Waterloo VS Western AND Deadlines?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Computer Science @ Waterloo VS Western AND Deadlines?

A photo of mhz mhz
I'm wondering, is the Western program at least comparable to the Waterloo program for Computer Science?

I've already been accepted to Waterloo Compsci but I'm thinking that I'm simply not going to have enough fun there. So, I want to apply for Compsci at Western (Is it too late!?) so I'll be in a more spirited environment and with some of my friends.

Please let me know.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@mhz wrote
I'm wondering, is the Western program at least comparable to the Waterloo program for Computer Science?

I've already been accepted to Waterloo Compsci but I'm thinking that I'm simply not going to have enough fun there. So, I want to apply for Compsci at Western (Is it too late!?) so I'll be in a more spirited environment and with some of my friends.

Please let me know.

Having fun should not be the focus of your degree. If it is, you should wait a few years before you go to university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mhz mhz
The entire purpose of life is to have fun and considering the years that I will be in University are the best times to be enjoying life, I want to have fun. I'm never going to put school work above something that lets me have fun. (Unless that school work is fun)

NOTE: Computer Science is fun for me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pHzie pHzie

@mhz wrote
The entire purpose of life is to have fun and considering the years that I will be in University are the best times to be enjoying life, I want to have fun. I'm never going to put school work above something that lets me have fun. (Unless that school work is fun)

NOTE: Computer Science is fun for me.

Then you shouldn't be going to university. It's not always about fun, life isn't a fun rollercoaster. You will enjoy you're stay at both schools and won't regret going to either one. But if your basing the future of your degree and career on which school will I have more "fun" then you won't very far.

Not saying you shouldn't have fun but having fun all the time isn't good nor fun.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
If you're a fun person, anywhere is fun. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mhz mhz
I feel as though we have gotten off track. I need to know if the Computer Science program at Western is just as good or close to as good as the program at Waterloo.

I'd rather not hear your opinions on the nature of fun or the context in which I'm working, just your ideas on the programs please! I assure you, I'll do well in either program and I'm not worried in terms of academics, I'm worried about the other 80% of University (In terms of time).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@mhz wrote
I feel as though we have gotten off track. I need to know if the Computer Science program at Western is just as good or close to as good as the program at Waterloo.

I'd rather not hear your opinions on the nature of fun or the context in which I'm working, just your ideas on the programs please! I assure you, I'll do well in either program and I'm not worried in terms of academics, I'm worried about the other 80% of University (In terms of time).

The program at Western does not really compare to Waterloo's. I've never heard it mentioned in a list of "best CS programs in Canada".

I imagine that if CS is fun, CS at Waterloo would be fun. That being said, I'd say you'd be far more satisfied with life if you valued happiness over fun, which is transient and superficial.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
Uh yeah why does it matter if Western = obvious better social lifez?
You can have a great social life at Waterloo too.

Oh and.. I didnt even know Western had a CS program. Hope that answers your question.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Road2gold Road2gold
I'm sure you can find a way to have fun where ever you go. So your major decision should be where you think you'll get the best education. You're the only one that can answer that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of maelong maelong

@mhz wrote

Please let me know.

wow you have accepted already?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mhz mhz
Yeah I was accepted in January.

Thinking about it.. it's better just to go to Waterloo. I do have a few friends there and Laurier is just down the street. Here's what a friend of mine at Waterloo told me lol:

Theres awesome parties alright, but theres NEVER good looking chicks at waterloo parties. If you want good looking girls, then you MUST goto laurier, 70% of laurier girls are above average. And theres more girls than guys at laurier. waterloo is just the oppsite.
Anyways.... back on topic:
Waterloo math department is really competitive, If you feel ur top 2 in math class back in high school, then ur just about average in uw math faculty. It is truly a gathering place for the greatest minds in the world, alot of international students too.
Math faculty is by far the most difficult, you must be willing to give up alot of time, and sleep if you want to keep ur math marks above 65%. YOU MUST try to attend all lectures, because you'd be soooo lost if u skip lectures.
Places to go.....
Conestoga mall is by far the closest place to waterloo, thats where alot of students go. other places include the waterloo plaza with so many restaurants of different types, and the plaza is just 5 min walk from DC building.
As for the types of ppl in math faculty: a lot of brown ppl and asians. theres also a good amount of white people-- the super nerdy ones. And they all evsuper intelligent, and work very hard. so to stay in average you gotta work just as hard as them.
exams are like waterloo math contests... it ALWAYS have alot of questions that make you think and struggle. exams do not have straight-forward questions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0